I Forge Iron

Goosewing axe?

This most certainly isn't the answer, only an answer.  I think it probably depends on the size of the axe, but I have one that I was told awas from the 19th century with a 14" blade and it looks like it was made by forging the blade and both sides of the eye flat then eye was formed by wrapping it and riveting making an eye that's approx 5-6" deep (pretty tough to punch/druft through this thickness)  The edge looks like it's done the way many axes were, by welding a carbon steel edge piece.

IIRC there is a broad axe shown in Charles McRaven's "Country Blacksmithing". But as mentioned the traditional way is to forge the body out of real wrought iron making forge welds as needed and then weld on the high carbon edge. Real wrought iron worked at welding heat is VERY SOFT and so a smith with one or two trained strikers could really manipulate metal in a hurry using it. Much harder trying to use modern materials and just your own arm...one reason the powerhammer became more and more popular over time.

I have just purchased that book ....ta for that.

I have an identical axe to the one in your picture.

the eye is formed  with material from the blade wrapping around its self and side welded to the blade , just in front of the socket. the socket is formed from the same piece wrapped around its self. and lapped and forge welded at the front .

the poll is a seperate piece forge welded on.

on the axe I have I can see no forge weld to indicate a steeled wrought iron blade but my assumption would be that the blade has a wrought iron body with a steel cutting edge forge welded to it.

this is a pretty standard design for these axes.

When I made my goose wing I used 2 halves for the socket and welded the sides. The poll was laid in between the socket sides and the blade in between the sides up front. then the edge was steeled on the bottom side. Need to make triangular shaped drift and bick to get the socket welded and shaped up