I Forge Iron

Damascus steel, just...how

I started forging for the same reason something like 14 years ago. Because I was working with Thomas Powers (a frequent contributor) he was able to coach me through a damascus blade my second time at the forge. That worked becuase I'd already made numerouse stock removal blades and was pretty good with hand tools already and most importantly becuase Thomas is a patient and willing teacher. That being said, I would advise you to find a willing teacher in your area. I can give you a very detailed written description of how to make damasucs and enen go into detail on the metallurgical principles at work in the process but that likely will not be as helpful to you at this point as getting some hands on experience with a good teacher. There's no reason you can't jump right into a damascus project early in your forging career, but that will be facilitated greatly by finding someone who can show you the basics in person.

Patrick