I Forge Iron

Got a little done on my Brake Drum Forge

bhardy501

My first brake drum forge was set up that way. It didn't work all that well, the biggest problem was I couldn't work anything longer than a few inches as the back of the forge got in the way. My current forge is just a drum from an old f100 pick up. I cut a hole in a metal table and set it in flush with the table. Now I can work much longer pieces.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to do a little more work on my forge this morning. Had just enough time to get the bottome welded on before the monsoons set in. Didnt have enough time to get the slag chipped and brushed. Got the turye (not sure of spelling) put together. Got the bottom grate built the other day just needs a little fine fittng adjustments with the grinder. I plan to build a flap cover for the bottom of the pipe but for now a pipe cap works. Its gettng closer.

post-29274-0-71692900-1355674190_thumb.j  post-29274-0-12927300-1355674200_thumb.j  post-29274-0-29245600-1355674208_thumb.j  post-29274-0-35014800-1355674214_thumb.j

Hey guys, how many CFM of air flow is needed to run a forge. I had the idea to try and see how the shop vac set up as a blower would work. I dont think it would work at all. I think it would launch hot coals out of the forge at a relatively high rate of speed :). I thought about using a hair dryer, I have seen several on youtube using this method. Any sugggestions for the air flow part of my forge. My existing pipe is 2"  but I could easily step it up or down as needed.