I Forge Iron

Making a wide piece narrow...

Chatch

I happened upon a piece of 1/8" plate the other day, about 4" wide and 15" long. I would like to turn this into pieces about 1" wide. Is there an easier way to do this with hand tools other than heating and hot cutting one bit at a time? I only have the forge size to heat about 2" of length.

Thanks.

To save a little experimentation, would the cold chisel be faster than hot cutting? The little bit of each I've done, the hot cut seems faster. I'm pretty opposed to the grinder method, since I just moved and have no idea where my grinder is at the moment...

Clamp the work piece horizontally in your vise. Place a cold chisel with the working end horizontal on the front jaw of your vise. Tip the back of the cold chisel up slightly so that there is about half the thickness of the work piece (1/16" for a 1/8" thick plate) between the vise jaws and your chisel's cutting edge (more or less, experiment). Hammer on the chisel sharply. The work will shear off in line with the vise jaws. Start on one end of the work and move the chisel along as it cuts. Take care to maintain a straight line when re-clamping work wider than your vise. The sheared off strip will curl away from your chisel, that's ok, you are a blacksmith and can hammer it flat again.

I noticed you're into blades on your profile. If it's steel for a knives or a piece of bronze then I might consider cutting it but if you need 1x1/8 flat mild steel just go to ace and buy a little......Cut off wheels for a grinder aren't free and you'll use a couple of those at least doing the grinder method.....