I Forge Iron

Desert Iron Wood and Damascus

BM454

I just finished this one. It's a whirlpool pattern welded blade and Desert Iron Wood handles. Brass pins and brass tube for the lanyard eye. Sorry for the poor pictures. I think it came out rather nicely though. The knife has a great feel to it as well as looking good.

post-13863-0-84730800-1353972770_thumb.j

post-13863-0-12354200-1353972780_thumb.j

post-13863-0-52490100-1353972791_thumb.j

post-13863-0-56635400-1353972803_thumb.j

post-13863-0-47233900-1353972826_thumb.j

Thank you Rich.

From what I read it's called a whirlpool pattern unless I did it wrong. I did 244 layers, squared the billet up and did a very tight twist. Once I got it twisted I squared it back up and did it like you would a latter pattern. I got the idea from The Pattern-Welded Blade by Jim Hrisoulas. I may have not went deep enough on the groves though.

I have worked with ironwood. I grew up in Cave Creek, I bet you have just about as much work in the scales as you do the blade.
Looks good, you should be proud.

Charles
You're so right there. I had never had the pleasure of working iron wood before. It took me most of a day to get them like I wanted. The biggest thing was it had several knots in it and I would have to work around them. Once I got one out I'd find another. It came out rather nicely though. Just took some doing. I almost scrapped the handles at one time though. My friend told me to try one more time before I did and I'm glad I did.

Scott

Nice job! I like that patten. I found that I lost contrast in billets if the layer count was high. You may try less layers and get a better effect( not saying this is a bad effect). Well done looks great!

Thank you Darren

I'm going back to the forge tomorrow and do another billet. Just not for sure what yet. I have a neighbor who's in need of a large blade. 1.5" x 10". I may do a latter pattern with semi high layers. Say around 300 or so. Just not sure yet. Any ideas would be great. Not really done a pattern welded blade that size.

Scott

High layer ladders look awesome! I only tried one and I had a fail.....Not to say you will. I really love a low layer twist like 30-50 layers. This really gives a sweet contrast and you lose less billet to grinding! I love the pattern on the other one. Do it again!