I Forge Iron

Newbie from New Jersey

njfarmer

Hey yall,
I figured it was time to introduce myself. My name is Brian and im from southern NJ. I have basically no experience blacksmithing. My family operates a 500 acre fruit and vegetable farm. I have a few horses including a Belgian draft that I intend to do some farm work with. I recently got a really good deal on a champion forge with electric blower a set of tongs a metal work table with smaller post vice. Just bought a 150 lb Fisher from my old highschool metal shop teacher. Planning on putting up a small 12x16 ft pole barn to house the shop.
This forum is excellent! It is jam packed with great advice for us beginners. Joined the NJBA last week and look forward to going to my first open forge this coming monday! Contemplating taking a class at either Peters Valley or the New England Metalworks schools. Right now just looking to get the techniques down and do some basic forge works. Thanks for your time!

Some of you might figure out that I am the "metal shop teacher" Brian is talking about. I am taking Stuart thinking about passing on some of my surplus anvils to beginners in need. I sold the 150 lb Fisher at a loss, but I know it will be going to a good person. I threw in a couple of ball peen hammers also. Brian is a good guy, and will be a great student as he learns this great craft.