I Forge Iron

My first forge

Roastbeef

Here are some pictures of my first forge, it was a process of trial and error - so here is the process I went through, and how I ended up with this design.
Firstly the burner, using some 1/2 inch galve water pipe that I had lying around, I made my first venturi burner. This worked well but there was not enough heat, so I made another and put the two side by side.
The venturi burners were not very efficient in the forge, there was a lot of un-burnt gas coming out of the forge opening - probably because I the burners were not getting enough air.
Also the forge was too big, I had made it two bricks high.
So I cut it down to just one brick high ( as in the photo's) and did away with the venturi system and connected a forced air supply.
WOW this worked GREAT.
The forge works really well, the heat is fantastic, I get almost a white heat, also I can "tune" the burners by controlling the air input and gas supply, I can regulate the heat for a "eco" mode or turn it up for max heat.
Lighting it is a bit tricky, I normally throw in a lighted rag or tissue and then firstly turn on the gas - this lights up the workshop !, then I slowly introduce the air.post-27232-0-93687300-1353088137_thumb.jpost-27232-0-63026700-1353088168_thumb.jpost-27232-0-04995000-1353088195_thumb.jpost-27232-0-68251200-1353088215_thumb.jpost-27232-0-18709100-1353088254_thumb.j

Interesting. Can you forge weld with it? Any problem with the burners being so far into the forge? How do you adjust the air?
I guess you can forge weld although I have not tried yet, the burners have a stainless steel bezel welded on the end, they do get really hot and this may be a problem in the future.
The air is adjusted by a simple 1/2 inch tap, air is supplied by a blower that I had for a paint spraying system.