I Forge Iron

What would be a good anvil to start with?

Adam,

Since you're around the area of a few other smiths on this site I would suggest looking up a brian brazeal style striking anvil. These seem to be fairly cheap to build and would probably suit you better then a store bought anvil like a harbor freight, or other cast iron ASO. Also, you might want to get in touch with the blacksmith association down in MS and they'll probably be able to help you through getting started a lot faster.

Jeff

Adam,

Since you're around the area of a few other smiths on this site I would suggest looking up a brian brazeal style striking anvil. These seem to be fairly cheap to build and would probably suit you better then a store bought anvil like a harbor freight, or other cast iron ASO. Also, you might want to get in touch with the blacksmith association down in MS and they'll probably be able to help you through getting started a lot faster.

Jeff

Ive saw that Anvil Brian had made, it is pretty neat. I went to my first Forge Council meeting last week, guess I will wait until the email comes out and ask.

Adam,
I now have 4 anvils, or 1 anvil,2 lumps, and a something I use. My first lump was given to my 2"x2"x8", nailed it down to a heavy log and hammered away. the next year I was give more of the 2x2, had the machine shop boys cut and weld it into a "T" then they welded 10mm cheeks on it so its roughly 3" wide for 12" of the top and wieghts 60 to 80 pounds. right after that came home, I was in the iron mongers and they had a 4"x12"x12" off cut, paid £20.00 (about $32.00). Rounded off the corners, love it for my medieval demos. My real anvil came to me in July, a friend said his mother had one in her garden she wanted to get rid of, free for the cost of an hours drive, and bit of chit chat. (also came home with 20"ish of railroad rail). Ask around, let the world know what your looking for, and see what falls from the trees. Try the local garage, machinest, farmer down the road. They can only say "not that one" however in my experiance they will add "try so and so over younder" sooner or later you can get a real nice one that you can afford, till then use what you find for cheap and save up for the nice one.