I Forge Iron

Any good books for referencing ancient smithing items?

Adam Chance

Ancient, you mean Greek and Roman and before right? Or do you really want migration era, early medieval, high medieval, renaissance....

If you can narrow things down I can probably make some suggestions. A couple off the cuff suggestions:

Ancient: Egyptian Metalworking and Tools, Shire books

Migration: I have a copy of a 1930's book on the double edged sword of the German Migration period---in German of course!

Early medieval, lots of viking finds out there; I like the "prune people" viking book. (problem is that I have at least 6 books out there called "The Vikings" all by different authors...)

Early to high: Divers Arts, Theophilus a 12th century monk goes into great detail on how to do all the "studio crafts" of the time including how to make the tools for doing them.

Yeah, the question is pretty broad, "Ancient" means a lot of things to different people. But here's some 'Celtic' and Migration era stuff I've found helpful.

"The Mästermyr Find: A Viking Age Tool Chest from Gotland" by Greta Arwidsson & Gosta Berg
"Early Irish Ironworking" by B.G. Scott
"Pagan Celtic Ireland" by Barry Raftery
"The Celtic Sword" by Radomir Pleiner
"Werkzeug und Gerät aus dem Oppidum von Manching" by Gerhard Jacobi
"Celtic Britain and Ireland, Ad 200-800: The Myth of the Dark Ages" by Lloyd Robert Laing & Jennifer Laing

Some of these dive really heavy into the archaeological metallurgy side of things (which you may or may not find interesting too), while others are general history books that happen to a chapter or two on metal/iron working.

So would "Knives and Scabbards, Museum of London" (over 300 medieval knives from excavations in London all drawn to scale with information on age, metallurgy, construction details + shears + medieval leather sheathes) would be appropriate----though centuries more modern than "ancient"?

So would "Knives and Scabbards, Museum of London" (over 300 medieval knives from excavations in London all drawn to scale with information on age, metallurgy, construction details + shears + medieval leather sheathes) would be appropriate----though centuries more modern than "ancient"?

sounds great

Are we narrowing this down to *anything before the year WXYZ* and are you interested in any of the metallurgy and history as well:

"The Celtic Sword", Radomir Pleiner
"The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England" H.R.Ellis Davidson
"Sources for the History of the Science of Steel" C.S.Smith
"The Metallography of Early Ferrous Edge Tools and Edged Weapons" Tylecote and Gilmour

(the Renaissance and earlier is sort of my playground...)

Early medieval, lots of viking finds out there; I like the "prune people" viking book. (problem is that I have at least 6 books out there called "The Vikings" all by different authors...)

Thomas,

Is the "prune people" book, the one that was released to go with the Viking museum show tour in or around 1981? That is an excellent reference book for the tour. I no longer have my copy from the Minneapolis museum stop. Could you tell me the author?

Brian Pierson

Thomas,

Is the "prune people" book, the one that was released to go with the Viking museum show tour in or around 1981? That is an excellent reference book for the tour. I no longer have my copy from the Minneapolis museum stop. Could you tell me the author?

Brian Pierson

Yeah, what is that book? I've seen if referenced a bunch

Don't think the Prune people viking book was part of that exhibit as it predates it by a decade or two. I have two copies of it as my original is getting quite loose in the binding through use. The first was marked "The Viking" Crescent Books and so is probably the early 1970's issue. The second is marked "The Viking", Tre Tryckare and is a more recent re-issue. abebooks.com has all of them and even another re-issue I believe.

Were you thinking of "Vikings : The North Atlantic Saga" Fitzhugh, William W. (I got to see that exhibit in Washington DC due to a business trip to McLean VA!)

More books:
Early Finnish Art: From Prehistory to the Middle Ages" Istvan Racz; (unfortunately my copy wandered off)

Another great museum exhibit based book is "Die Welt von Byzanz" (The Byzantine world; or the World of Byzantium) I was able to attend that exhibit and picked up a copy of the quite heavy hard bound catalog in Munich Germany due to another business trip. Lots of goodies to reproduce in it!

You may note that when it comes down to "physical culture", items they used that you can reproduce, museum exhibits and catalogs and Auction catalogs start becoming important. Most books only show one or two items, a good catalog may show and describe dozens!

Also many books only show the "famous" items; very annoying to buy 5 books only to find they all show the exact same museum pieces! Auction catalogs are nice in that they show items that are not the museum showpieces, often times simpler ones to make too!

Thomas,

There was an exhibit that started in England at the British Museum. The following dates are from the BM site where an Axe head found in the Thames was part of this exhibit.

1980 19 Feb-20 July, London, BM, The Vikings
1980 4 Oct-1981 4 Jan, USA, New York, Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Vikings
1981 USA, Minneapolis, Minneapolis Institute of Arts, The Vikings

It is also pictured in the book by Graham-Campbell, J. A. and Kidd, D. (1980): 'The Vikings', London, pl. 63. The cover looks like this.
51VrnI%2BGpDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They were selling this book by Bertil Almgren also at the exhibit. This is the book I think we are talking about. I was mistaken in thinking it was written for the exhibit. but I haven't had a copy in longer than 25 years.

41H7r39E8XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Adam,

If you can search the internet for ideas then museum websites can be a good place to find ideas.

Brian Pierson

one other thing to mention good archeological drawings are often easier to use to replicate stuff than photographs.

(yes the second picture is of the "prune People viking book"; we could post the list of books with similar titles. As I recall the National Geographic book on "The Vikings" has a picture of the soapstone oil lamp I've copied.)