I Forge Iron

Lanyard tube materials

It could work but that is thick and hard material... you're setting up for a lot of work. Thin wall brass, aluminum, or copper tube would make things easier. There is, IMO, too high a risk of damaging your scales when flaring such heavy tubing. Some hobby stores carry small tubing and even the auto parts places may have some if you ask them. You can get the sleeves from brass compression fittings at most paces that have plumbing supplies and that tube is about right and already flared on one end! BTW I think brake lines are just carbon steels... I don't think stainless is strong enough... why they rust out eventually. I have had that problem!

You can get stainless brake lines. They are harder and more brittle then steel lines. You can't double flare them like steel either not that it matters in knife making lol. I would use it if you could find a drill bit the right size. You don't have to flare the tubing if you don't want to, you could just bevel the inside edges to prevent the tube from cutting the lanyard material. Some steel shops carry small diameter tubing in different materials.

stainless brake lines can be double Flared and they are much stronger then Steel and out last them 10 to 1 That is why 'Hot Rodders /Mechanics use them ! and yes you can use them for a lanyard hole pin . you just need to take your time and paean them correctly . any one that has done Mechanic's work before knows they are the Best in the industry >

Sam :angry:

Sam, sure you can double flare annealed stainless lines. There's a special flaring tool for stainless and they use a different fitting too. Most parts stores don't recommend double flaring them tho because they are brittle compared to steel lines because they are harder. You can get annealed 303 stainless lines that double flare a little easier but for the most part you "can't" double flare stainless. If I remember correctly you flare steel at 45 degrees and stainless is (I think I remember this right) 37 degrees. I would have to go to the shop and look at my flaring tools to be sure about it tho. I bought all the brake lines to do my "hotrod" just a couple months ago.

Back to the lanyard tube convo. I see no reason that aluminum arrows wouldn't work for a lanyard tube. That's actually a pretty good idea!!!!

If you go with a thicker wall tubing like brake lines just bevel the inside of the tubing a little bit with a counter sink once the handle is done. It works well. That way like Sam mentioned, the lanyard won't get cut. If your using very thin tubing like brass or the arrows you could bevel the handle and flare the tubing to mate with the bevel on the handle. If it were me, and this is just my opinion. I wouldn't try to flare the thick tubing because you might not be able to feel when it's flared just enough and risk splitting the handle material.