I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Demonstrator needed

Larry Harley, Wes Byrd, and Tim Potier ventured to French Camp, Mississippi in May, to host a hands on demonstration of Bladesmithing for the students and staff of French Camp Academy. French Camp Academy is a Christian based school/home for kids that come from a fractured home situation.

The blacksmith shop in the historical area is a 20 by 20 log structure with a lean-to on each side of the building. The shop has basic power minimum lighting and dirt floors. It is a good place to show the public and students forging techniques.

Things started about eight o’clock Saturday morning at the historical area blacksmith shop. During the day about 40 students (male and female from ages 7 to 18) participated in age and ability appropriate hands on forging activities. We made nails, hot dog forks, leaves, and knives etc, and each person took something home that they had worked on.

As bladesmiths, we can teach some blacksmithing skills but are looking for a couple of blacksmiths that can volunteer their time to demonstrate or teach a weekend class in blacksmithing. We are also trying to equip the blacksmith shop with work stations so more students can learn. If you would be interested in volunteering your time to teach classes at the school, please contact me, Larry Harley (423) 878-5368, or Wes Byrd (423) 775-3826, Tim Potier (337) 639-2229.

I spoke with Larry and he is looking for a blacksmith that can volunteer a weekend to demonstrate blacksmithing to this group of kids in Mississippi. If your interested, give him a call or contact him pm through the site.

Thanks for reposting this for me glen. So far the response has been overwhelming. I've collected a post vice, bunch of sm ballpeen hammers, 2 gas forges, one coal forge, and some tongs.

You can see who i am at LonesomePine Knives. I am also the national coordinator for the American Bladesmith Society Youth Program.

Here is a link to French Camp French Camp Academy A the kids come from a fractured home environment.

Its my idea to not give them fish, but to teach them how to fish.
harley

his past hammerin at batsons ,
wes byrd and my self were being good little mushrooms and conducting out youth seminar over in the green coal section
snatching every kid that came along and shoveing a hammer in there hand and makeing stufffff telln them "it ok to play in the fire here:)"
some of the other demonstrators were supposed to stop at green coal through out the weekend and do green cola for adults
but
wes and i had these kids so fired up that thats all was there at the time was kids
it came time for tim potea to take his turn ad he ended up w the kid called derrick
eh worked w this kid for a couple of hrs and the kid ended up w a nice knife
it couldnt be hammerd on any more
so tim said
"take that hom e and u and your dad finish it"
and the kid replied
mister , i ant got no dad and wondered off
tim looked like a gut shot deer!!!!!!!!
from the look on his face u could tell he was fractured
after the kid wondered off wes and i started questioning his friends and come to find out none of them had parents!!!!!!
time for wes and i to look like gut shot deer!!!!
about an houre later the kid
this derick came back by
patted tim on the shoulder and said "thank u mister thats the nicest thing anybody has ever done for me"
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we all fell over
heart strings pluck in a major cord
it was at thsi point wes and i got thsi same idea
the next day (sat )we approached tim and ask for his help
after some talk between our selves
we dicided that we shold involve some of the higher powers of the ABS
(not everyones a mushroom)smile.gif
and introduced terry goins( the house counseler that had brought them up there)
to joe keesler and b.r. hughes
we received there blessing and visited french camp last weekend
it was a real blessing!!
and that dear friends is the rest of the story
except when i saw tim potier leave sunday morning he had grown to 9 feet tall in my eyes
harley french possum

Hi Larry! Glad to see you're back up and around. :)

I met Larry at the first Moran Hammer-in near Frederick, MD. (Larry, I'm not sure if you remember me as there were lots of people there, but I was about the only girl trying my hand at knifemaking.)

I watched Larry work with kids that weekend, and he is amazing! This big bear of a man seems to immediately connect with children, and can explain the fundamentals while the kids are working. Some (most) of those kids produced a much better first try than I did.

Larry is one of the good guys!

Pam

awww shucks mam twerent nothn:)
i have a good time working w kids and learn faster than most adults!! lol
i do remember meeting u but its fuzzy
long time ago for me
i slept most those 48 weeks while i was sick:)
working in the shop every day
like my hair was on fire!!

ive got a laundrey list of tools i want for these kids at french camp
and already lots of response
keep makeing those knives
harley

Harley, I still need that address to UPS that Vice , and the few other misc tools that I shook out of the shop this weekend.

Jens

just send it directley to french camp
Att. Terry Goins
French Camp Academy
One Fine Place
French Camp, MS 39745
it will be put to good use:)
harley

Hello Harley

Send Me The Size (weight) Of The Hammers U Need, And On My Return From My Demonstration In Holland For The I.f.g.s On The 29 Instent I''ll See What I Can Do For The Kids.
I Myself Very Much Appriciate What U Do With The Kids ,i Myself Do The Same In My School For The Same Type Of Kids.
Best Regards
Hofi

Hello Harley

Send Me The Size (weight) Of The Hammers U Need, And On My Return From My Demonstration In Holland For The I.f.g.s On The 29 Instent I''ll See What I Can Do For The Kids.
I Myself Very Much Appriciate What U Do With The Kids ,i Myself Do The Same In My School For The Same Type Of Kids.
Best Regards
Hofi

hey there it is:)
duuh most things i do on the computer end up as operator error:)
i,m not sure about thew weight and sizes??
mabey u can help out here if u arfe already doing the same thing with some other kids

i try to get the younger kids ( from 6 or 7 to about 11 >13 )to do nothing but work tapers
its hard to be age specific and size specific because of the differences in ages and sizes and how well they r"hooked up" nerve wise(able to hit the same place 2 times in a row):)
i find that sometimes the little girles are better at it than some of the boys
esp when they r younger
i know this has not been much help, sorry
mabey when u get back giv eme a call
423 878 5367
harley

LARRY, I saw over on the bladesmith forum that Lorelei has one for sale :

"25# Little Giant for Sale - Old Style - Made in Wisconsin - Excellent Condition and some tooling is included. I will e-mail you photographs upon request. $2000 firm with free delivery within 100 miles of Charleston, Illinois.

Thanks and have a good day!

Lorelei

lorelei@blacksmithchic.com"

While It may not be cheap you should contact her , never know, she may have a soft spot for kiddies

Jens

LARRY, I saw over on the bladesmith forum that Lorelei has one for sale :

"25# Little Giant for Sale - Old Style - Made in Wisconsin - Excellent Condition and some tooling is included. I will e-mail you photographs upon request. $2000 firm with free delivery within 100 miles of Charleston, Illinois.

Thanks and have a good day!

Lorelei

lorelei@blacksmithchic.com"

While It may not be cheap you should contact her , never know, she may have a soft spot for kiddies

Jens

thaNKS BUT SOMEONE HAS AL;READY DONATED ONE:)
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Package of stuff is on the way to Terry at the Camp. Do you have an email address for him?? A little explanation might be in order.
heres terrys email address
Terry Goins

u need to get him and some of the kids to the next meeting of thew mis forge council
harley

Hello Harley

Best Regards
Hofi

alright!!
i think u need to meet me down there and get this off on the right foot
what better way thna ot have u do a demo and hands on w some of the older more experienced kids
when do u have some free time
in the fall or winter??
harley

Hello Harley

Best Regards
Hofi

hofi
becaues u r such a high profile smith id like to get u down to the french camp school
it would be a big shot in the arm of this effort
give me a call 423 878 5368
harley