I Forge Iron

2nd Blade Done

teknition

I finished up my second knife tonight.

Spec's are:

8" overall, 3-1/4" blade length, 1-1/2" at belly, fullytapered. 3/16" at widest point, flat ground, vine filework.

1084 carbon steel, stock removal, normalized 3X, heated to non magnetic and marquenched in 140 degree quench oil, tempered one hour 2X at 400 degrees. Sanded to 1200 grit and etched in ferric chloride, lightly sanded again with worn 1200 grit and WD40.

Handle is African Ironwood with black and white spacers and stainless pins, CA finish, wetsanded to 1200 and buffed.

All comments welcome, suggested improvements?

2396.attach

2397.attach

2398.attach

Wow!
That is just a very nicely designed and finished knife.
Although we see a lot of knives on this site I never get tired of looking at them.
Thanks to the knife makers. I believe the knife makers help keep the balance here at IFI between high quality finish work, v. the rough finished quality of hand hammered products and finishes.
I believe both have an interesting quality that is separate form one another.
It seems as though each knife, hawk, hammer, or other tool someone has posted has its
own unique qualities in the design, details, finish work, or personality in each piece that sets them apart.
I notice that some knife makers have there own fingerprint (style) that becomes apparent in time that sets them apart in some unique way. I would bet in time we will be able to spot your work and say: “ That knife looks nice enough to be the work of Teknition"
Be Safe!
Old Rusty Ted

Thank you all for the kind words, as a new maker your feedback is very encouraging. I always strive to do the best I can as well as gain the skills and knowledge necessary to improve the projects I take on.

Like you Ted, I never get tired of looking at the talents of others on this site in the gallery. The displays of skill, creativity, and artistic talent as well as the generous sharing of knowledge on IFI are what makes this site so great.

Good question Tyler.

These are some of the resources I used for learning the heat treat for 1084 (There isn't alot of info on the web about it)

Heat treating 1084 Steel

Knife Network : Workshop - Heat Treating

From what I've read, the steel needs to go from 1500-1550 degrees to below 400 degrees in one second or less and the quench oil temp should be 140-150 degrees F to properly harden the steel

I may have used the wrong term when I said "marquenched". What I meant by marquenched is that the blade was not fully submerged in the quench oil but rather it was partially submerged in the quench to leave the ricasso and most of the spine soft while the edge was fully hardened. I believe this is called marquenching?

There are so many terms in the heat treating that it is sometimes confusing. I know that a blade being quenched in salt at just above 400 degrees (martensite finish) is referred to as marquenching. There are deffinate advantages to quenching in salt such as a more complete and gentle transformation to martensite and not having to regrind the blade to remove scale. From what I've read, (lots), basically the way you put the blade in the salt (finish) is the way it comes out. More advantages of salt pots are quick and even heating to critical temperature and less warpage because of the even heating of the steel (no burnt tips and decarburization, etc)

I am planning on setting up salt tanks to treat the blades I make, I just haven't made it that far yet. I have the digitally controlled forge made already, all I have left is to get a stainless pipe and some salt to be able to do it. The price of stainless pipe is astronomical so it will have to wait for a bit until I can afford it (I have other priorities right now like a good bench to work on instead of a workmate).

If you feel like sharing your knowledge of metalurgy and heat treating, I'm more than willing to listen. I by no means know it all or even a quarter of what I would like to learn on the subject.

That process is not marquenching. Marquenching is defined as when steel is quenched into a quenchant that is heated to the martensite start (ms) temperature of the particular steel you are working with. The ms temperature for many steels is around 450 - 500 F. The piece is held in the quenchant until it reaches the same temperature as the quenchant, it is then pulled out and air cooled. Marquenching results in a more gentle and even quench. You get less warping, and the steel is tougher at the same hardness as straight warm oil quenching.

Thank you for clearing that up for me Tyler. I guess from what I've recently read, that I should have said the blade was "differentially quenched" or "edge quenched".
For some interesting reading on heat treatment of steels, Mr.Cashen as well as Mete over on bladeforums have a pretty vast knowledge on the topic and are freely sharing some great info. Here is a link to just one of many threads on the subject over there.
http://216.26.139.58/forums/showthread.php?t=440355

• 3 weeks later...
I finished up my second knife tonight.

Spec's are:

8" overall, 3-1/4" blade length, 1-1/2" at belly, fullytapered. 3/16" at widest point, flat ground, vine filework.

1084 carbon steel, stock removal, normalized 3X, heated to non magnetic and marquenched in 140 degree quench oil, tempered one hour 2X at 400 degrees. Sanded to 1200 grit and etched in ferric chloride, lightly sanded again with worn 1200 grit and WD40.

pretty dang nice. a sweet puppy.
buzz

That process is not marquenching. Marquenching is defined as when steel is quenched into a quenchant that is heated to the martensite start (ms) temperature of the particular steel you are working with. The ms temperature for many steels is around 450 - 500 F. The piece is held in the quenchant until it reaches the same temperature as the quenchant, it is then pulled out and air cooled. Marquenching results in a more gentle and even quench. You get less warping, and the steel is tougher at the same hardness as straight warm oil quenching.

i am saving this in doc. for future reference. man i learn a lot just reading this cool(hot) stuff.
buzz
very cool.:D
hey the last time the guys had a fish fry i saved five gallons of the peanut oil they used to fry the fish.
will this make a fair quenchant???
buzz