I Forge Iron

Hexagonal anvil...

Hi Liamh,
I doubt very much you will find any info on the anvil given the age of the illustration and also down to the craft of the smith. In the middle ages/tudor periods all the main crafts were controlled by the guilds and each craftsman was trained in only one trade - eg a nail maker or a cutler or a spurrior.
This is what you were trained to do and all you were allowed to do by the guilds.
The guilds set the level of your training, the quality of your work, where you could work and how much you could charge.
If you look through the rest of the illustrations in the Mendel book and other medieval /Tudor period illustrations you will see they are all using different styles of anvils which seem to depend on the type of work they are producing. there does not seem to be any standardisation of anvils as we know them until the 18th century.
Wayne

Steve Parker has been forging some of the polygonal anvils for reenactment use. I got a square one based on a Roman-modern times examples and later years he had octagonal version at Quad-State.

If you wanted a really really nice one properly hardened he would be the go to guy in my book!

Anyway Steve Parker is in the midwest somewhere I see him at Quad-State.

Google: "Steve Parker, from Illinois, is an industrial blacksmith, who has studied with long time power hammer guru Clifton Ralph." (Yup that's right)

"Please make checks payabe to Illinois Valley Blacksmith Association. Please mail check and order to: IVBA. Steve Parker. RR4 Box 336. Clinton, IL 61727"

I'd see if this was the right one.