I Forge Iron

Tools to start?

chopit

If you were under my tutelage I would suggest a 2 1/2 pound turning hammer ( rounding hammer )....and tongs for 3/8 & 1/2 sq.
( they also hold round stock ) . once you get some hammering under your belt, make tongs for whatever else comes up.

Id say the most "general" hammer would be a cross peen hammer, 2-3lbs. Easy to find, easy to use, I think sears even has one labeled "blacksmiths hammer"

Tongs are a must, maybe even more important than the hammer at first, if you cant hold it you cant hit it. Id rather use a 3 dollar hammer and the right tongs than a 100 dollar hammer and channel locks.

Apologies for the rant in advance but I'm having a slow day.

The most general type of hammer would be as said a cross pein hammer. A typical smiths hammer would weigh about 3lbs. This is often a lot of weight for a beginner to swing around so a 2lb version is usually recommended.
The other option is a ball pein hammer. Which is absolutely fine for forging, don't get bogged down looking for a specific hammer.

Tongs are the next thing. Or indeed the most important tool, though if you start by using long stock you can hold the end with your hand.

I'd suggest buying your first couple of sets if you can afford it. I was skint when I started, and I'm reluctant to pay any more than I have to, so I strongly suggest looking on eBay or gumtree or Craigslist (US version of gumtree?) to find your first tongs.

I'd go for a set of flat jaw tongs and a set as suggested above for holding square stock, which will also hold round. That will get you going and you can make any more tongs with those.
I started off with some flat jaw tongs and made most of my other sets.

Check out wolf jaw tongs as well, they are pretty handy.

As for your forge and an anvil, just be patient and you will find what you are after. They crop up all over the place.

All the best
Andy

I use 3 pair of wolf jaw tongs for most work that I do. I would say 70%. I got mine online at Kane and Sons/Blacksmiths depot. The ones I got were the 300mm, 400mm and 500mm. I don't do large things so the next two sizes, for me, weren't needed. The other tongs I bought were from another online vendor who sold them on ebay and for the life of me I can't think of its name right now. But with both sets i can handle everything up to 1" square or round. Which is more than I want to handle by hand.

Well with your hammer and tongs you will want to forge a hardy for your anvil and more tongs to fit what you want to do.

HOWEVER IF WE DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU PLAN TO DO WE CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT TOOLS YOU NEED!

Bladesmithing is different from ornamental iron is different from historical replicas, etc

But the very minimum is: a hammer and an anvil.

If I was kitting a fellow out I would want them to have: a hammer, a larger hammer and a smaller hammer.
Tongs for common sizes they will work with. Hot cut and hot cut hardy. A post vise! A twisting wrench sized for the work they will do. A bending fork sized for the work they will do. A bic. A hack saw. An Arc welder (helps to build various tools and jigs...) An old lincoln tombstone can be had cheap and will outlive most of us!

Safety glasses are the most important thing! They are a must, if u have ever had a little piece of metal in ur eye u can agree. After that keep it simple like everyone says. Find a basic hammer that is comfortable, doubt u can swing 4lb hammer long, get some long stock, tongs are really nice, and play. U will discover what u will "need" as you go along. Unless of course u have unlimited funds:D

Safety first. you do not need a anvil you can just have a block of mild steel 2"x 5"x 12". very inexpensive. If you miss hit and chip it will not cost a lot to fix the most important part of an anvil is having it firmly attached to the earth. A good hammer there many out there and many sources a forge with blower. And some steel with some practice you can make all your tools.

What would be a good minimum start as far as tools? Hammers and tongs mainly. I am getting an anvil from santa. I'm wanting an old anvil and forge if possible. If not I will make my own.

Buy first the what you need now and the basic tools I guess and safety gears .

The safety gear is important and not a problem. I work in a chemical plant and realize the importance of having the right PPE. I was able to go to someone local and see his shop. He let me use his coal forge,hammers, and tongs. It gave me a real goodidea of what I need. Thanks for the suggestions I can't wait to get my own anvil and forge.