I Forge Iron

Ok, I am sure that I am probably not following the proper process to talk on the forum, but I saw a link to a Hammer-In in North Georgia, referencing that their might be a Fall 2012 event (which has probably past). Anybody know of an upcoming event in North Georgia where I can get some first time experience hammering out a knife? I am fairly new to knife making and would like to move on to learn a little about forging, but am a bit daunted by the prospect of having to build a forge, make/find an anvil, procure hammers, and generally self/learn the process, when I would prefer to see if I might enjoy the process from the beginning. - kgantz

Look into the closest ABANA Affiliate and see if there is anyone close to you. I think many if not most smiths will invite a new person over to try it to see if they like it. *AND* an afternoon with someone who knows what they are doing can save you six months or more of trying it on your own!

It's not too early to start planning next year! At least four events in "Jaw-jha" to look forward to in 2013.

March 15-17, Westville - ABANA 40th Anniversary (general blacksmithing) http://www.abana.org/Conventions/2013Convention.shtml

May ?? Blairsville - Trackrock Hammer-in (sharp & pointy stuff) usually posted by crex on http://www.bladeforums.com

May 16-18, Madison - SE Regional conference (general blacksmithing) http://www.sbaconference.com/

May 31-June 2, Atlanta - worlds biggest Blade Show ('nuff said) http://www.bladeshow.com

Welcome aboard K, glad to have you. You're going to fit in here just fine, no worries about knowing how to "talk" correctly, we're blacksmiths NOT English majors. Oh okay, I'm sure I'm in for it from those guys here who ARE English Majors. Oh well. <grin> Anyway, nothing will get you in the good graces of a bunch of blacksmiths like inviting one or all to a pig roast. Roast pig, Mmmmmmm.

Oh yeah, you're in good country for blacksmithing get togethers for sure.

Frosty The Lucky.

Too late to edit the previous message. The right date is this Saturday, the 3rd.

Meeting and Auction - November 3 at 8:00 A.M.
J. C. Campbell Folk School
Brasstown, NC 28902

Every November The Appalachian Area Chapter of Blacksmiths (AACB) and NC ABANA join together at the John C. Campbell Folk School for a meeting and the annual Folk School auction. The auction will feature donated items from many blacksmiths and other fine craft items. Proceeds benefit the craft programs at the Folk School. Don"t miss this chance to see the Clay Spencer Blacksmith shop and help out the folk school.

The morning begins with a demonstration Jack Wheeler, followed by scheduled time for a chapter meeting and lunch. The Blacksmith Auction preview will be at 1:00 p.m. and the auction begins at 2:00 p.m.

Jack Wheeler has been practicing the blacksmith craft for 25 years. He has taken classes at the Folk School and has completed numerous blacksmith organization classes and seminars. Jack's teaching experience includes leading classes at the Appalachian Center for Craft and being an assistant instructor at the Folk School. He also teaches weekly classes at Choo Choo Forge in Chattanooga.

BLACKSMITH MEETING AND AUCTION SCHEDULE

November 3, 2012

8:00 Shop Opens, Setup for Tailgate sales, Coffee, Doughnuts, Lunch Reservations
and turn in Auction Donations.
9:00 Paul Garrett – Welcome everyone and introductions in the Clay Spencer Blacksmith Shop
9:10 Demonstration begins by Paul Garrett

Chapter Meetings:

10:30 - 11:30 Appalachian Area Chapter Meeting – Mitch Latsch.
Followed by Iron~ in~ the ~ Hat Drawing.
12:15 Lunch - Folk School Dining Hall - Chili, Cornbread, Tea and Dessert ($8.00, pay in the dining hall)
1:00 Auction Preview - Keith House, Community Room
2:00-5:00 Auction (Keith House, Community Room) Tim Ryan & Bob Grove Auctioneers

--