I Forge Iron

Trivit

Michael

I started this project at the CBA Oktoberfest gathering earlier this month.
post-182-0-34632200-1351120590_thumb.jpg

Demonstrator Brett Moten did a great job showing the process. But I missed part of the demo and couldn't get the progressive tenon swage to work, so I came home with punched and scrolled legs but no tenons.

Forged the tenons using the techniques I'm more familiar with, butcher, side set, then SOR on the anvil face. Everything fit in the little gas forge right up to bending.post-182-0-76369500-1351120756_thumb.jpg
post-182-0-62786700-1351120743_thumb.jpg

But to peen over the tenons required lighting up the coal forge and getting some room to work.

I suppose I could have used the torch to heat the tenons, but lighting the big forge gave me a chance to play with some old wrought iron shipped from the Midwest, 1.5 inch bar, some work to cut stock that big.post-182-0-10018000-1351121005_thumb.jpg

Discovered that an old heart hook project makes a fine tong ring, and that wrought needs to work hotter than I'm used to doing or it splits apart like wood.

Design credit to Pete Bennett, MABA member and published in the Anvil's Horn. A handout at the demo was from the magazine.

I'm looking forward to playing around with the details a bit, maybe a penny or fishtail scroll and a twist in the pieces.

Lovely wife collects trivets so there's a ready recipient.

A penny scroll, or half penny scroll is when you forge a round little, penny sized or ha'penny if your in the UK, knob on the end of your bar and use that as the start of the scroll.

discussed here

I've always liked them more than a fishtail scroll, but there's room for everything in ironwork.