I Forge Iron

My portable side blast forge/bellows setup

Wesley Chambers

I would like to run a twin but I dont want to keep the wife working them all day. Some of the shows I attend and would like to join I'll be working solo and this is about my only option. This event covered 1066-1400+ I was lucky enough to go with the great bellows, my research places them as far back as the 1200's.

Can you share that research with us! Just provide the cite and I most likely have the book or can access it through the university library next door. (My research indicated the 1400's with it's use with the gold smiths gradually leaking over to the iron smiths. Theophilus in the 1120's still showed single action bellows and the ones shown in De Re Metallica were also single action---though being water driven are a special case.)

As for twin systems many medieval illuminations show them being worked by one person with a single handle set up to alternate with a sort of rocker system. "Cathedral Forge and Waterwheel", Gies and Gies, has a couple such. (and people wonder why laurels get such a persnickety reputation...) Now the early systems like shown on the Heylstadt stave church panels do require a bellows thrall to be effective and wives are notoriously resistant to the suggestion...

I've been sourcing soapstone from old laboratory benchtops and sinks that make good bellows stone and easily carved if you want to duplicate the norse examples...

I built this setup in about two days and was in a rush to get it ready, the Old West Fest had just ended and I didn't have much time to get it the way I wanted before Days of Knights. My first stone was a decorated portland cement creation that refused to setup over night in the 35º weather I guess, so I had to go with what I had- a busted garden paver lol. Ill try to hunt out the info again I had a few links from friends so Ill try to dig those up if I didn't delete the email.

My gravestone is going to be a garden path stone according to my wife. Of course it is, sandstone, large and was carved with the Heylstadt carving of the smith Regin and the text of my laurel award in the SCA. Just the thing to stub your toe on in the dark... The carver got a high priority request and went out and yanked it out of their garden path. *His* wife was not too happy about that I understood...

Thanks for hunting down the information; *always* ready to learn more!