I Forge Iron

how do you use this thing ?

It is a small forge for heating soldering irons. The irons slide into the coals where you have the ladle. Usually used with sticks of solder from roofing and gutter suppliers. Personally I prefer a torch but I have seen these in use by skllled pros... they definitely can do the job. Probably they used the ladle to melt down scrap bar ends and recast them into long bars again.

Yes, though I think these were more often charcoal fired... unlike coal, the charcoal will burn well without any forced air supply. Even wood could do the job. You'll have to clean those irons up and tin them (coat with solder) to use them. The solder will not wet to a dirty or patinaed iron (which the "irons" are actually copper and sometimes called "coppers"). Here in Saint Louis many fine old homes have copper gutters or roof flashings that were traditionally seam soldered with such a rig onsite. Some of the craftsmen that I have seen using them inherited them from a couple of generations back. I have tried to get them to work for me but I use a propane (or mapp gas) air torch instead and have terrific results that way. I did a small copper roof job a few years back... it will surely outlive me!

Yes, I love copper soldering points for the consistent heat they provide on the solder joint - and like Bigfootnampa, I use an oxy-propane rig for heat.

I restored some brass gas lights for a client that dated from the early 1900's and made myself several coppers to do the work. It was gratifying to be able to easily disassemble, clean and reassemble all of the pieces with minimal effort.

nice im looking foward to testing myself with this new art, any one got pics of fun stuff i can make ?

Any tin or other solderable sheet metal assembly you can think of. Lamps, lamp sheilds (punched or reflective), containers, boxes, model airplane fueltanks (I need a 1/2 oz uniflow tank for 1/2A, please :P I'll use an electric iron when I am ready to make it myself), leaded glass, picture or mirror frames...

Phil