I Forge Iron

looking for storage ideas

I recently moved onto an acreage that had a 40'x60' all steel shop on it (commonly used for farm machinery storage). I'm looking at ways to maximize my storage space in the building, but I'm not sure the best way to make use of the wall space, since the walls are not vertical or easy to attach hooks or anything to. Any suggestions for me?

post-2067-0-42855500-1349848242_thumb.jp

Pallet racking helps, and is all over the place used. Utilize the angled space for long items. or whatever will stand under it. It isn't a basic fix, since if you bring shelves out from the angle to where they are even in front the lower shelves will be a lot deeper than the top ones, and anything on the back of the lower shelves will be tougher to get at unless thay are big.

Embrace your non symetrical side,and just use the space =)

Put your full length 20' sticks of metal in the bottom sides as you have a long enough building to pull them out and put a set of shelves in front of them.

If you have the fab capabilities make a set of shelves with deeper ones on the bottom and smaller ones on the upper reaches. I'm collecting wire milk crates for my storage and they come in a double length size too so you could do a set of shelves to hold stuff in milk crates with the big ones down low and the regular sized ones on top.

In general the most "usable" storage for me is from my neck height to my waist and it's used for stuff I get into a lot and top and bottom storage is for "once in a blue moon" stuff.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd show you all what I came up with, it'll do pretty well for now I think. I'm planning on using the back part for lumber storage for now, possibly adding more shelving on the sides later.

Forgot to mention my materials, it's all 4x4 or 2x4 lag or carriage bolted together with 1/2 inch plywood for the shelves and a sheet of 1/4 inch pegboard.

post-2067-0-61054800-1355801468_thumb.jp

post-2067-0-41081900-1355801520_thumb.jp