I Forge Iron

Belt or Pedestal Grinder

kubiack

I have had a 2x48 belt grinder for a few years and am in the processes of upgrading to a 2x72. I also have a large Baldor 2x12 pedestal grinder with stone wheels. Since getting the belt grinder I have not used the pedestal grinder. Room is my shop is limited and I am thinking about selling the grinder since it has not been used in over year. Can anyone think of an operation where a stone wheel would be preferred to an abrasive belt? I hate to sell it if I’m going to need it again.

Everyone I know has pretty much stopped using the stone wheel grinders after getting a *good* belt grinder.

Now putting wire wheels on the pedestal grinder can be a useful thing; just remember that a pedestal grinder with a wire wheel can really damage you if you don't watch out!

The only use for my pedestal grinder nowadays is to retip my tungsten for TIG - but if push came to shove, I could move that operation to the belt grinder by using a dedicated belt. They are simply much more versatile than a stone grinder.

OTOH, you could also put specialty wheels on it (silicon carbide, buffing, etc).

Thanks for the replies. I’m just trying to determine the best use of my resources. This one seems like it might be a good one to free up a little space and cash which I could put towards something I would use more. I also have a pedestal grinder/buffer combo that I user for a wire wheel and buffer. The specialty wheels seem the most promising but I think that the proper sized ones for this large of a grinder are going to be cost prohibitive.

The safety issue alone is enough reason to dump the pedestal grinder! I only use my small one for buffing.

Pish tosh, The small ones, can git you too. I've had my run ins with pedestal buffer/grinders and I learned from my mistakes and the mistakes of others which is the smart way. They have thier place and can be a valueable asset to any shop but KNOW what you're doing before you hit the switch........ ;)

I built a 2 x 48 belt grinder several years ago. It is my only grinder ( besides the drill doc and some side grinders). This said I still could use a rock (pedestal or bench ) occasionally. Good, clean dressed rock wheels do stuff in a fast manner but yes they can be dangerous. I still have the arbors I used in the past but never have added new wheels. Most importantly, good rests and guards.

• 1 month later...

A good tip if you use a wire wheel on a bench grinder is to put silicon or gap filler into the wires near the centre of the wheel (not on the outside edge where you will be using it of course). When it sets it will help hold the wire in the wheel and prolong the lifespan of the wheel. Be sure to push it right in there though, it can be messy but its worth it. Having less pieces of wire flying off into your apron/clothing is also a plus.