I Forge Iron

got some new stuff to look at

got lots of new stuff today, guy came buy with a big hand forged chain and some forge welded rings for wheel hubs i think, then got a call from this other guy sead he had a anvil and some other stuff to give me to come over, so i got this small anvil with no holes in it but has nice rebound , no clue as to what it is ? and then i think this big link is wrought iron ? any way any info or anything let me know...

SANY00095.jpg
SANY00135.jpg
SANY00165.jpg
SANY00154.jpg
SANY00173.jpg

A spark test is a way to ID ferrous metals, although not foolproof. Touch the item on the wheel and don't press hard. Wrought iron has straight carrier lines in the "shower." There will be a few "sprigs," short straight branches on the carrier lines, but no bursting like you get on mild steel and higher carbon steels. Test the unknown to a known. A museum conservator would call this "destructive testing" and would never do it, because you would lose a little bit of the test piece where it touched the wheel.