I Forge Iron

Breaker Bits- Too good to repurpose?

Stopped by a garage sale this weekend when I saw a bunch of tools laid out on a tarp. Picked up these breaker bits (SDS bits?) thinking I could make some tooling out of them. Got 'em all for $20. But now, after I've taken a better look at them, I realize they are all brand new (except for the big breaker bit which has been used at least once). They are marked Kango -England.

post-542-0-64671000-1349102474_thumb.jpg

Are these things too good to cut up? Could I sell them to someone for their original purpose, and make some dough? Maybe an rental place?

I don't mind repurposing tools for my uses, but would hate to destroy something of significant value/use without at least knowing more about them.

-Derek

"Marry them Both!" (Big Trouble in Little China) see if a local rental place would give you the money you spent and twice as many used/broken ones so you would be stocked up and reimbursed.

My favorite hardy was made from the broken off end of a jackhammer bit, all I had to do was to forge the broken stem down to fit the hardy, been using it for about 20 years now and a *lot* of beginners and all I have to do is to hit the end with the angle grinder now and then to refresh it.

Good steel. It depends on how hard you want to work to trade sell them I guess.
That big breaker bit at the top can be used to make a wicked raising/ planishing hammer. Cut it off right to the left of that shoulder, slit and drift a hole for a handle and then radius the shoulder end for a planishing face and put whatever size/shape raising end you want and there you go. I made one about 10 years ago and used it as forged and normalized and it has held up amazingly well.

Use them for material. Probably 1045-1050 which makes good thicker section tools. They dont have a ton of value for there intended purpose. The top one is a standard 1 1/4 shank breaker bit which is a $15 item new and the only common tool in the bunch... It looks like the ones below that are "Macho" shanks which will work in a spline drive demo hammer. That is a common shank for rental company's but the coski style replacement ends are obsolete. The clay spades with the Macho shank you might ask a rental outfit. They are pretty spendy new ($40-50 ea) and might be worth trying to peddle

Thanks everyone. I will run them by a local rental place later this week and see if there is any interest. I like Thomas' and Big Gun's idea about selling/trading for used up bits. Something about cutting up brand new tools just doesn't sit well with me, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time and effort on it either.

Monster, thanks for the info. The clay spades are the ones I hate to cut up the most as they look like they would be hard to re-forge into useable form again.

I'll let you know how it goes.

-Derek