I Forge Iron

Small handled trivet

wolfshieldrx

As that sort of trivet is used over hot coals to allow heating of pans without legs I would assume the wax gets fried off long before a hot pan contacts it.

If it's used only decoratively then it's not an issue.

(As I'm making renaissance kitchen "tooling" I've made several of these based on the Opera of Bartolomeo Scappi, 1570---and need to make more as I had a request for smaller shorter ones recently now that I have the ones done for the 10-15 gallon pots done. I tend to rivet the legs on and then forge weld them in place smoothing off the top of the trivet in the process.)

Thanks guys. I apply the wax on these at a high black heat. I would say burnt on instead of melted on. Plus I brush really well with a wire brush durung and after application. I made a couple larger trivets for my wife a year ago and have had no problems with hot pots. Like the idea of forge welding the legs; may have to try that. Thanks for looking...bart

I've had real fun forge welding the legs on the ones for the big pots as they are long enough I have to stick the leg up the forge chimney to get the join in the fire at the correct spot and then unwinding it from the forge and getting it to an anvil fast enough to weld...Of course the heavier stock helps. I generally test out the big ones by standing on them---250 pounds.

The other typical trivet I make is made with 3 sections of strap stock where I weld the ends of two pieces together to make a leg/foot and then weld the third piece to the other end of one and then bend everything together and weld the last two ends into a leg/foot and get a 3 legged trivet

I've had real fun forge welding the legs on the ones for the big pots as they are long enough I have to stick the leg up the forge chimney to get the join in the fire at the correct spot and then unwinding it from the forge and getting it to an anvil fast enough to weld...Of course the heavier stock helps. I generally test out the big ones by standing on them---250 pounds.

The other typical trivet I make is made with 3 sections of strap stock where I weld the ends of two pieces together to make a leg/foot and then weld the third piece to the other end of one and then bend everything together and weld the last two ends into a leg/foot and get a 3 legged trivet

Been wanting to try one of those as my forge-welding skills improve. Thanks for the input! bart