I Forge Iron

ace1

Is it possible to make a sword that is one, but can split into two identical parts down the middle. As I have found researching this that most people say no its impractical ( they say this because if someone were to try wielding it as a singular blade it would jus fall apart). What I'm getting at is is it possible to have magnets inside the blades strong enough to hold it together but easy enough to pull it apart?

Welcome aboard Ace1. A couple of things can really help us help you. If you could update your information to show your general area, it will make it easier to coordinate with other smiths in your area.

Technically, yes, you could make a sword that is actually two bound into one, but it would strictly be a wallhanger/novelty. Magnets could work, or perhaps jigsaw-style interlocking pieces. A working sword would be subjected to too much stress, and how are you going to be able to split your sword in the heat of a battle? Why not just carry two?

The greater questions are: Do you have the ability to make such a blade? How long have you been forging? Do you have a working knowledge of metallurgy, and know which steels work best for what projects? Do you know how to properly heat treat the steels you use?

These questions are asked to nearly all new members who want to make projects as advanced as swords or large weapons, so don't feel like I'm cornering you specifically.

The chinese had one style of duplex sword that was stored in a single sheath and when drawn was two blades---but they were never fastened together and the handles were not that great for using as they had to be flat on one side to "stack".

Such trick swords are more movie and book fantasies. (And like many such fantasies your opponent would probably just kill you while you are fiddling with getting your blades apart...)

Using a trick sword in a formal duel would be grounds for the seconds to kill you. (even the set trigger of the pistols used in the Burr-Hamilton duel were not know about until they were x-rayed in recent times leaving the winner in opprobrium back in day...)