I Forge Iron

Spray-on sunscreen

There have been reports of Spray-on sunscreen catching on fire even after appreciable waits after application.

Latest I've seen was of a lady who waited 5 minutes before she started to weld and her arm caught on fire.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/chesapeake/spray-on-sun-screen-burns-womans-arm?hpt=us_bn8

Sounds like a danger smiths might run as well.

I like the ambiguious warnings in the article.

I will have to check, but most of the sunscreen lables I have read recommend 20 minutes before going outside after application. I wonder if that is adequate for the flammability to go down.

Those aerosol sunscreens sure are quick and convinient to use most of the time. I have been using only aerosol sunscreen for the last few years.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Be aware that aside from the materials being propelled from aerosol cans, since the EPA ruled out Freon as a propellent, the common propellant is a mix of Propane, butane and Iso-Butane. You can have an aerosol spray can of water and most likely it is a flammable spray exiting the nozzle.