I Forge Iron

Which book?

Hi

I am in the process of setting up my workshop, but as i haven't done any blacksmithing for a few years, I would like a really good book of techniques which i can work my way through as i am going to be teaching myself. My objective is to spend a few months getting techniques perfected before i go on to making stuff.

Anyone got a favorite book they can recommend. Also anyone got any tips for self-teaching?

Thanks

Louise:)

I've always liked Weyger's books collected in "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" should be easy to find and not very expensive.

I like his scrounge/make it yourself viewpoint and the immense number of good drawings of the steps in his projects---not just 3 photos start middle end like some books.

Thomas

My two books I refer to more often than any others

1. Oppi Untract - Metal Techniques for Craftsmen
Big, heavy, and comprehensive (and expensive if you buy it new, but worth it) lots of images and instructions... I also have the Jewellery Concepts book by him which although isn't strictly Blacksmithing, it covers just about every metalworking technique out there. Good Reference.

2. Jack Andrews - New Edge of the Anvil
Good basics...

With out a doubt, New edge of the anvil. I actually use this as a text book when teaching basic blacksmithing. Having said that, I recommend you absorb every bit of info on the subject you can. Check out the online sources above, use the library's loan system.Join your local abana/blacksmith group. They usually have a library of their own w/ a good selection of books and videos. go to a good book store and stand there for a couple of hours reading.
Also make every attempt to watch some one else doing what your interested in. It is quicker to have someone show you the right way to do something, than to have to figure it out for your self when you are first starting out.

Acier, why not start a thread on the IForgeIron Forum called "Blacksmithing techniques - xxx" and ask one specific question per thread.

BS tech - drawing a point
BS tech - turning round to square
BS tech - making a square corner

Well you get the idea. Each topic could be answered by different blacksmiths and a discussion started. The resulting information would specifically target your needs at the time, and could far exceed any short paragraph in a book.

Blueprints could be submitted to further explain a subject and/or individual techniques.

I will get things started and you can add to it as you have questions.

Louise: It already is -- it is called the Blacksmithing forum. :)

That is the very best sort of stuff to be here anyway... questions on technique, design, development, and tools for forging iron.

However, before you ask a question, do a little bit of searching and see what has already been asked. Download the online books and study them, particularly the COSIRA books in the links I provided. Some of them have very good pictures and explanations. That way if you have questions, you can refer to the page and pictures which makes it easier for us to make recommendations.

I HEAVILY agree with downloading the online books. I went through and downloaded a bunch the other night from google. I started with the ones from the "free online blacksmithing books" thread and then sorted through the different "related results" on each page, and on and on. Within two hours (and about 1.5 gigabytes of hard drive space) i had enough information to fill a bookshelf or more. I've also been known to print some of those references out (mostly the ones that I find myself referencing somewhat regularly), three-hole punch them and put them in a binder. For about 2 dollars in ink, 2 dollars in binder and a few minutes of my time I have a hard copy reference that would probably cost me marginally more if I had bought it from an antique books dealer. Now if i could just figure out a way to make a laptop computer impervious to the grit and grime of a blacksmith shop environment, i could take the pdf's with me when i work :)

-Aaron @ the SCF

Not quite the same reading from the computer is it?? Yep i have downloaded them, a while back. I'll have to get printing.
Think i may buy Backyard blacksmith and New Edge of the Anvil. Annoyingly the latter seems to be only available shipped from from USA or Canada.