I Forge Iron

A Fissure in my Fisher

Got too much time on your hands Stu?... :D ....The tool steel face is pretty thick on those baby's, right? Why not tip it over on it's side and apply a little 7018 or 10018, that would bond to the tool steel well enough to use it as fill when it comes into contact with the cast....Or just ''forget about it'' as the wise guys like to say...... B)

If it's working on ya that bad, I'd buy a 300 degree temp stick preheat and weld with 7018 or higher then post heat. If you have some old Fiberglass insulation, after welding and post heat cover the (HAZ) heat-affected zone and let cool very slowly. Then it's a matter of just cleaning with a grinder. I'd use at least 9018 though if it was me. I'd be more than happy to send you enough welding rods if you want to wait a day or so to fix it.

My first notion if to find the blankety blank who did it and hammer hammer some of his favorite body parts into it as fill. Unfortunately it is frowned on so . . . <sigh>

It isn't bad enough damage I'd do anything about it. Heck, maybe dress the gouge up a little and use it as a heal swage sort of feature.

I've seen a LOT of torch damaged anvils and they were usually gouged right across the face, typically several gouges. Makes me wonder if they use their heads as splitting mauls. (aught to)

Frosty The Lucky.

Let's see if I can recall this:

A fitful young fisher named Fisher
Once fished for some fish in a fissure.
Til a fish with a grin
Pulled the fisherman in
Now they're fishing the fissure for Fisher.

Seriously, I'd leave it alone...the damage is inconsequential in light of the usable areas. It almost looks like it was intentionally cut for some purpose.

I would have to ponder for years before I decided whether or not to fix that..... Oh yeah you have already had it for years huh. Well Preheat (I do 400 to 450) weld tehe cast with a couple passes of nirod on the cast and then the 9018 or equivalent and post heat back to 400 and wrap in kaowool or similar overnight. peen the heck out of it and grind it to finish

my .02