I Forge Iron

Which forge would be better?

Mrhappybottms

My charcoal forge doesn't seem to be cutting it, im going to try one more thing to see if it will heat my metal better. but to the point, i am going to need to buy a propane forge and i have two options for this, i just don't know which shape would work better for knives and small art projects. or if you have other options, just my price range is only around 300 and that is slightly pushing it but nothing more.

http://www.majesticforge.com/knifemaker_forges_products.html
http://www.diamondbackironworks.com/catalog/item/2754775/8423329.htm

I just got the Diamondback. The positives, it does reach welding heat and works well for bladesmithing. It is small and relativly lightweight making it perfect for doing demonstrations. It is also pretty fuel effecient. I also like the hard insulation as it doesn't require as much matainance. The negatives; the forge chamber is small. I get a lot of scale (chokes will probably help this). It seems to take a while to reach welding temp (that's the trade off from the wool). It doesn't seem to get hot enough to work wrought iron. All in all I am pleased with it as it was the most bang for my buck. The coal forge will always be ready for the bigger projects.

Best bang for the buck and better for your purpose. Build your own.
I can supply your Inswool, Kast-0-Lite castable refractory and Plistix or Metrikote.
Get your burner and regulator kit from www.hightemptools.com.
I am attaching my tutorial for how I like to build a gas forge.

KD Gas Forge Tutorial.pdf