I Forge Iron

Beveling a knife from tip to heel

Guiltyspark

Is this possible in one go? normally i get a nice solid bevel from the heel up to a certian point and the tip is not beveled and i have to do a new bevel for the tip. Especially if the blade is slightly curved.

Is there a way to do this in one single grinding?

Also how can i get my stainless steel soft enough to work with , i tried annealing it in vermiculite and it didnt work i think.

If you google 440c it will give you the temps required for all heat treating of that steel.including annealing. I use a lot of 440 C and send it all out for heat treating as I cannot follow the guidelines recommended for the temps required. This steel not treated properly is less than wot it needs to be for a blade.

By heel if you mean the end of the knife opposite the tip, the it is going to be a real challenge for you to be able to grind a nice bevel from one end to the other if you are using a two inch wide belt on a flat platen or a contact wheel. However youmay be able to learn this if you are willing to spend the time. I suggest getting a couple of hundred feet of mild steel in knfe blank size and cutting it all out into blades youiwish to shape as you asked about. Then stock up on belts and begin...This is doable thing. it will not be easy. I do not create a taper from one end to the other. I prefer a taper from the ricasso area to the tip,. and a tapered tang.
Keep and eye on the keeping you informed area of the main page, we will cover a lot,,from very basics like terminology to forging a finishing. including tapering tangs and blades. We will try and gear it towards folks of all skill levels. Howeverr the basics are the big thing..learn those well and it is easier to push your skills to higher levels.