I Forge Iron

small fighting knife wip

Rhettbarnhart

i finally decided to make a hidden tang knife and decided to post progress here.Any of the blade gurus can tell me if i screw up and tell me wat to do differently ,and if anyone has advice i will consider all of it.enjoy.....First i got a piece of 5160 from aldo and then i drew out the blade then made a template from wood.after that i forged to shape then hit with an angle grinder and a 1x30 from harbor freight.here are the results so farpost-25948-0-64093000-1347453867_thumb.jpost-25948-0-74894300-1347453883_thumb.jpost-25948-0-13086400-1347453900_thumb.jpost-25948-0-59697800-1347453916_thumb.ji will post pictures of progress as soon as i have more time to work on it.

"good rescue"
thanks but i still dont like it quite as much as before

"do you know why it cracked?"
Rich i will give the process i used.......steel was 5160 from aldo i dont think i ever hammered below temp.i normalized 4-5 times then heat treated twice by going to nonmagnetic and quenchin in veggie oil.After the second ht i noticed the blade was warped so i heated back up and straightened on the anvil then heat treated one more time......CRACK!!!!my opinion is that the reason it cracked is because i straightened the blade after hardening but i could be completely wrong.Any thoughts?anybody?btw i ordered cocobolo wood and will hopefully be finishin it soon
Rhett

When you heat a blade up to critical or near it it simply does not know if it has been hardened or not. My guess is KB hit it on the nose when he mentioned normalizing. When yoiu ido anything to a blade before heat t reat that can induce a stress if may open the door for the cracks to sneak in. Things like bending are one of them. I have heard that grinding creates stress also. I do not think I have ever seen that, I normalize before heat treat every time. This is really just a wild guess, if you did normalize before the last heat treat then do not read wot I just wrote!

Kb and Rich Hale
i heated to critcal and straightened when i was done straightening the color was almost gone i slipped it back in the forge and re-heat treated it.....so i am guessing yall are probably right.Oh well live and learn as they say and at least its not ruined:)in case i didnt make it clear......no i did not re-normalize