I Forge Iron

My first forge (w/ pics)

HandsomeRyan

So I had planned something much fancier but I decided that like many hobbies- you build your first forge to figure out what you want our of your second forge. I intended to fasten it together somehow but I didn't have the angle iron I needed so I figured I'd try just stacking the bricks. after a few different tweeks I got the thing running pretty good. It is far from perfect but it shoots fire and heats metal hot enough to bang on it with a hammer and reshape it so I have no complaints. I ultimately covered the front with a firebrick suspended on come really large (3/4") nuts so the stock I was heating could just be slid in underneath. I need some proper tongs as channel locks and vice grips aren't cutting it but I guess I'll learn to make those soon enough.

On with the pictures:

Just after lighting with the washer "choke" in place.
photobucket-36914-1347403615312.jpg

A little later while I was still playing with "doors" for it.
photobucket-34806-1347403575549.jpg

Looks like you're off to a good start! Enjoy the heat.

A good pair of tongs makes a HUGE difference, especially compared to channel locks. Id suggest buying your first pair or two, the universal wolf jaw tongs for 1/4"-3/8" square will work great for a lot of learning projects and can be then used to make some of your own tongs. Square tongs usually hold round stock acceptably as well.

I love how you suspended the burner!

Thanks. They say necessity is the mother of invention and I believe the father of invention is almost certainly all the junk I have laying around the workshop. I had to wedge a piece of scrap metal between the burner and the flat plate of theu-bolt because the threads were not quite long enough to tighten everything down but it worked just fine.

Good Morning,

I have been using a 'Stack of Brick' forge for a long time. K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simply Simple). Change the configuration, height, length, in a heart beat. The only area of question is 'What is the best way to mount the Burner?. If you mount the burner at an angle from the side (with a little support), the flame will roll inside the fire-box. As Vaughn said, 'Use some refractory cement'. This will become hotter than the fire-brick will and will complete better combustion of the propane in the fire-box. Better or more complete combustion means a larger area will become 'the hot spot'. You could try a slightly flared tip for the burner, some people say 15 degree taper is best (this will spread the flame to get a larger area for 'the hot spot'). The tip of the burner does not 'HAVE TO BE INSIDE THE FORGE', It could have a little space (this will also allow the burner to draw some extra air from around the outside of the burner. Will have to play with the jet a little bit). This will allow the inside of the fire-brick to be flared instead of the burner tip.

If you don't have tongs, make them or buy them. If you make them from mild steel they won't crack or break when you dip them in the quench bucket. There are many ways to make tongs, the only rule is, turn LEFT after forming the jaw to start the hinge area, LEFT again after forming the hinge area to start drawing out the reins. LEFT then LEFT will make reins for your left hand, RIGHT then RIGHT will make the reins for your right hand if you are left handed. I always bend the reins so they are overtop of each other, then they are OK for LEFT and RIGHT handed people.

Try to find someone near you that you can learn from/with. It is always better to have a sounding board close at hand, instead of the computor.

Enjoy the heat, DON'T FORGET TO PROTECT YOUR EYES AND EARZZ!!! THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES YOU WILL GET!! When they are gone, there are no replacements available!!!!

Neil Gustafson

I like your forge!

I should have done what you did, and started with a pile of bricks forge myself. Instead, I spent some months of my free time (and most of my fun money allowance) designing and building a forge modelled after Ron Reil's 4-burner forge (http://ronreil.abana.org/Forge1.shtml). While building it was a lot of fun, I am now finding that a large forge like this is a bit ungainly for the various small forgings I have been working on as I develop my blacksmith skills.

Had I known about the IFI forums before jumping in and starting construction, I would have noticed the often repeated wisdom of "start small" when it comes to forge building. On the bright side it is never too late to pile up some bricks and make a small convenient forge.

...I believe the father of invention is almost certainly all the junk I have laying around the workshop

In the words of Edison:
"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
(On the other hand: http://steampunkoper...he-the-oatmeal/ :) )

Best regards
Markus