I Forge Iron

Canedy -Otto western chief blower flushing??

ZIG

My question is. : what is the best thing to flush out the oil reservoir on thus blower. ??
I Just got it home and opened the peacock and didn't get a drop our of it.
So seeing how it turns fine. A little growl. But When released, it will still turn a full rotation +

I got this Thru a recent auction. And its been well taken care off. And has no leaks. A fresh paint job too.
So I hate To break the seal.
Was thinking. Why not unscrew the peacock and flush the gear box out with? ?
To remove or to find out if I need to open It up at all. ?
But wasn't sure, if diesel or paint thinner would be a good flushing. Solution?
I will take it off the arm That attaches to the forge table. After putting whatever in there To get the shavings or gunk outta there.

Then wash it out real well and. Replace it all. On the arm in the proper position.

What is the preferred lubricate to put in these blowers?
I've heard everything from ATF, to Power steering fluid.
I was wondering about gear oil for lower units on boat motors. I have several boats and always keep plenty of that gear oil on hand. Ans most has some fairly good qualities And provide great protection too.
But I want yalls advice And experience on this.
I know I'm making a big deal outta it. But I don't care to ever save money on any type of oil That protects my stuff. That's why I do annual oil changes on every thing I own.
But never taught about anything past a online flush. But I'm not sure how old this oil is in this blower.
So want to blow it out the best I can and know what I have .

So any suggestions are welcome and needed.
Figure someone has found the perfect thing to clean this gear box out.
And I like to put the best stuff back in it. I just didn't ask the seller. Never knew saw him for sure or I would've.

So someone help this insomniac , lol
Hardest day I've had all week. And hottest. And I'm.wide awake at 3:35.
worried about a chief blower. Crazy me.
Thanks in advance. Y'all have a Good wkend.

I don't think you need to take it apart. I took mine apart and reassembled with the original gasket which looks like a thick string. I also used gasket sealer. Ptree suggested using auto transmission fluid for the lubricant, which I did. Fill to the petcock, but no higher. They are beautiful blowers.

I appreciate the info. I wasn't gonna. Take it apart at all. Its Had a recent industrial paint job. That old battleship grey color. I'm gonna paint a flasher color later on. And paint the raised lettering too. Its. Gonna be my show piece of sorts. I use a Gasser to do my work with.
I'm just gonna do like y'all said. I'll remove it from the arm off the table. And remove the peckcock valve. And put what y'all suggested thru it. And give it a good flushing. I might take the wife's little shark steam cleaner and shoot thru the hole that the valve came out of. Then blow It out real good with air.
That should get any loose stuff And gunk outta there.
May squirt some Carb cleaner in there. Too. ?
I didn't want to break the seal mommas the housing halves. Cause It runs so well. But a good replacement gasket material, that we use at work on everything. Is Garlock, its a gortex material with a removable tape side. It comes in every size imaginable. We use it on oil pumps And water pumps too. Even use it to seal the wet bottom door to the boiler. That stuff is expensive, I'm sure. But What a great product. Stands up To heat and even fly ash boiling water.
Some of you may use it yourselves.
its compressable and hasn't let us down yet.

But back to the flushing. Like I said. I just got this Forge and blower and althoughh I collect tools and old forges. I only have ever worked on my Buffalo No. 0 blower. Which is Not dealer. It's all under the forge table and uses the long wooden wobble jointed handle to drive the leather belt driven gears.
Just happened that my uncle went to a auction a week ago and picked this on up for me. Well, I actually had to talk him out of it. He purchased it the weekend prior to our annual county 30 mile yard sale.
So as I go to auctions. And yard sales I'm hopes of finding tools. He goes and finds this Forge and 2 champion post drills to boot. A No. 5 and a No. 200-3. All in great condition too.
So the one auction I couldn't go to. That advertised any blacksmith tools. I was left to our counties 30 mile yard sale. It's hard to even get thru town during labor day wkend. They Had over 40 wrecks reported. And McDonald's ran out of food. Couldn't buy a happy meal.
That shows how many folks from all over to yard sale that wkend. Its a locals nightmare. But folks rent others yards of hwy 69 to set up there junk.
And I have the worst luck on finding any Good deals or seeing what I'm wanting to find.
To pull up at my uncle's and there he had this Forge and post drills for sale. So I had to step up to get ahead of the others. But I bought it. All.
Think that's why he told me to swing by the Wednesday before it kicked off on Friday before labor day.
He's lucky. But he also delivered it all and brought his tractor to unload that 500+ pound Forge and drills for me. So I was very lucky. And he even hauled off some trees that had blown down , this week, after a big storm came thru.
and He sold it for exactly what he had in it too.

So the moral to my little story. Is. ??
always keep family members involved When your hunting blacksmith tools. Never know who has what. Or where they might know where something Your looking for is at.
He did me right. Big time. "!
He's like a older brother rather. Than a uncle. But had I not stopped by a few days before that huge yard sale deal. I guarantee it wouldve been sold for sure.

I know that didn't apply to the original topic of my post. But thought it was a neat story on how I ended up with that blower
So I want to keep it in tip top shape. And Don't want to tear into it. Unless I have to. Not that I can't fix it afterwards. Just like to keep things in good running order.

Thanks to anyone that read this far into my rant. Lol
I over did It yesterday and pulled something. So kinda just laid up today. And typing Like crazy.

Thanks again. I want torture y'all anymore today. Well? At least ,not on this post anymore. I want to go mess with my new toys. But can't today. 4 hernia's and a champion no. 5 post drill. Whipped me yesterday. Gotta cool my jets today. But my texting finger is fine. Like y'all couldn't tell.
Have a great wkend my friend. Thanks for the great advice.