I Forge Iron

Lil' Rock Hammer

My son is a rock hound and needed a small rock hammer to put in his rucksack for high mtn forays.....Me being me I used an old 1lb ball peen to recycle into the desired shape.......The eye was a tad small meaning the handle would break if he pried with it and so break the handle,,,,,,,Lucky for me I had a small stash of tiwood.........It's 10.5 x 6''

post-15096-0-29947600-1346979544_thumb.j

Nice rock hammer Mac. I only have one suggestion, a small lanyard hole in the handle. Your son may not want or need it but it's a really good way to keep from losing a hammer down a hole, off a cliff or into a river.

What's tiwood? I'm in the dark there.

Frosty the Lucky.

Nice rock hammer Mac. I only have one suggestion, a small lanyard hole in the handle. Your son may not want or need it but it's a really good way to keep from losing a hammer down a hole, off a cliff or into a river.

What's tiwood? I'm in the dark there.

Frosty the Lucky.

Lanyard yes!.....Tiwood is a bugger to drill though........ :ph34r:

So it has a titanium rod inside the wood handle? Or is it all titanium with a faux wood finish and texture? I'd think it might have been cheaper to just drift the handle hole a bit larger! But, hey. where's the fun doing it the easy way?

Bingo! I just happened to have a piece of 3/4'' hex Ti that I've had forever and part of it needed a home, seemed easier than making a drift.....Anyhow I wanted to one up Rusty's galv sledgehammer handle.... :P ......the texture makes a nice grip and a little sculpt nouveau does the trick.......Should be bomb proof, Son proof, I don't know........ :rolleyes:

Will a hss drill bit work on ti ?

Instead of drilling the lanyard hole I'd drift it and let the drift expansion serve as the "terminal bulb" to make it stay in the hand better.

Second neatest one I've seen. I have to give Pep's pattern welded rock hammer place #1.

I'm going to steal your idea though as I have a slew of grandkids that will need one when they go out with Grandpa---who keeps an eastwing in his truck just in case. I'll probably drift the handle eye out with a bull pin and then true it up with a hammer handle drift on the last two heats.

Instead of drilling the lanyard hole I'd drift it and let the drift expansion serve as the "terminal bulb" to make it stay in the hand better.

Second neatest one I've seen. I have to give Pep's pattern welded rock hammer place #1.

If I gave that boy a pattern welded RH he'd skirt around bomb proof and lose it.... <_< ......So he gets a #2.... :D
I opted for a flatted end which took it to 11'' and was easy to punch in the ironworker hot after toasting a new bit....total wt is 23 ounces.

post-15096-0-96159700-1347038404_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Similar minds...Here's pretty much the same thing, I made mine for my female last Valentines day. Handle is tubing, tigged on the underside, and squished to oval (for the prying). It also used to enjoy being a ball peen. It's a bit soft, how did you heat treat yours MBruce?

post-979-0-64606700-1347838783_thumb.jpg

Similar minds...Here's pretty much the same thing, I made mine for my female last Valentines day. Handle is tubing, tigged on the underside, and squished to oval (for the prying). It also used to enjoy being a ball peen. It's a bit soft, how did you heat treat yours MBruce?

I used oil and it got plenty hard.....Beware of re working import hammers cause I've found on more than one instance that they are case hardened. I've been baffled by this a couple of times after I've re shaped em to my liking only to be foiled when I tried to re harden em.....The old American made ones found at flea markets and such are worth seeking out...... ;)