I Forge Iron

Help with anvil ID...

Approximately 75 pounds, appears to be two piece welded body and separate welded table. No markings anywhere that I can find.

post-5240-0-93837600-1346895785_thumb.jp
post-5240-0-83894200-1346895797_thumb.jp
post-5240-0-46987600-1346895809_thumb.jp
post-5240-0-23662400-1346895821_thumb.jp
post-5240-0-61119700-1346895835_thumb.jp
post-5240-0-29693000-1346895847_thumb.jp

The anvil appears unused, although rusty. My thoughts: factory second. Has a slight "hump" about 1/4 way from horn to heel. Also the horn lists ever so slightly to the right when viewed from the heel. Plus the fact that there are no markings anywhere. Whaddaya think?

I bought it to use for my demo anvil. Thanks in advance...bart

You will not thank me. But allow me to thank you for publishing some excellent photographs to illustrate the issue. (Well, more of a 'git' than a legitimate issue.)

Prepare to have your bubble burst: it is a counterfeit. You, my friend, have bought a low grade cast iron ASO.

The mold parting lines on the horn and heel, the scabrous sides, the bubbles in the metal, the rough grinding job, the wonky hardy hole and handling holes at the waist, the lack of a pritchel hole in a late model London pattern, the lack of a makers mark, the asymmetry, the bulged face and base: they are all telltale signs of the dreaded Anvil Shaped Object.

Does it have a ring? What does the ball bearing test say? Could be a low grade cast steel anvil too. We see a lot of anvils cast from "antique" forms coming up from Mexico. None of them are heat treated but some are of a decent alloy---depends on what they had in the ladle at the end of the day at the foundry!

That one does look old though and most likely cast iron.

Does it have a ring? What does the ball bearing test say? Could be a low grade cast steel anvil too. We see a lot of anvils cast from "antique" forms coming up from Mexico. None of them are heat treated but some are of a decent alloy---depends on what they had in the ladle at the end of the day at the foundry!

That one does look old though and most likely cast iron.

Indeed it does have a ring when struck with a small hammer. And the rebound seems ok too. When I was grinding the edges it didn't seem like cast iron but what do I know? This is just a hobby for me and I have a lot to learn. Think I'll use it a little and see how it performs. Thanks again for the collective knowledge and experience of the contributors to this site...bart

What he said: "if it has a hard face its a user"!

I have also run across some oddball Vulcan clones: thin steel face cast iron body---a friend of mine had one where the face warped when it was poured and was cupped! (Not a Vulcan, DEFINITELY not a Fisher, some other companies tried that method as well...)

Definetely NOT cast iron. Ground and polished a little then forged on it for a couple of hours. Nice rebound, no thuds, rings well. No denting even when refining a taper at black heat. I like it! A little more polishing, make proper stand and a couple hardy tools and I'll b set for demos. Thanks for all the input...bart