I Forge Iron

how to get heat patina on the handle ?

It is a thin oxide later on the surface of the steel (actually the colour depends on the thickness of the oxide layer as it's an interference of the light passing through that layer.)

The native state of iron on this planet is rust. A simple oxide layer will not prevent more rust from occurring. Clearcoating helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it's to do with oxides though I'm not sure how it works.

As said you can achieve it quite easily with a blow torch.

There are charts online, but straw yellow is the least tempered (seen on the far left of that blade) and blue is the most tempered, ie softest. Straw yellow is a good temper for blades I believe.
From the looks of it, this has been heated from the handle end. Very cool.

If you over heat the metal it will go back to the original black colour of the steel.

You need to polish the steel first but you should play around with it, it's fun.

All the best
Andy

• 1 month later...
  • I have been temper-coloring for years.....but, I have not been able to coat it without wrecking the color :( The colors darken and turn blah brown :angry: I have tried spray can gloss clear enamel and lacquer. What is the secret/product/technique??? Thank you.....