I Forge Iron

working on a lawn mower blade knife.

switchjv

I found a lawn mower blade at our local re-store for 3$. it was still in its original packaging and unused. i needed a large knife when i went to haul firewood last weekend, so i decided to make a knife i could use to trim brush and small branches. The knife is still in its early stages, but i have the general shape. just some areas that i think need some more work. Ill post up more pics as i progress. Thanks for looking.

post-12583-0-58644400-1346250989_thumb.j

You mentioed that you have tempered and annealed? I would normalize first, then anneal so I can work my files. Then harden and temper. In this order. Are you following me?? Inbox me if you don't get what I'm saying. These steps are very important in making a good reliable knife!

Nice job by the way, looking good, keep them coming!

You mentioed that you have tempered and annealed? I would normalize first, then anneal so I can work my files. Then harden and temper. In this order. Are you following me?? Inbox me if you don't get what I'm saying. These steps are very important in making a good reliable knife!

Nice job by the way, looking good, keep them coming!

I guess i have my terms wrong. because i normalized the steel before i worked on shaping and sharpening. after i was done with that, i heated to non-magnetic and quenched. then i tempered with a torch and let it air cool. Does that sound about right?

How about reducing your pic file sizes so it doesn't take all dinner to download? I run a PC and Windows XP, what I do without special software is do a "Save As" the resulting window allows sizing, rotation and file size. I set my file sizes in the 100-200 kb. range. The pics are decent size for viewing and they download reasonably quickly, even on narrow bandwidth connections.

I'd comment on your blades but I didn't download any of them. New mower blade stock is a decent choice, especially for beginners as it's impact resistant so you're less likely to produce a dangerous blade even if you screw up the heat treat.

Frosty the Lucky.