I Forge Iron

Seems I found a Black Jack brand anvil?

Is there a name brand by way of Black Jack? I can just make out the letters. The only other word I can i.d. is USA. There is a couple of lines between what apperars to be Black Jack and USA and is rather long in length, but cannot make it out. One line could be Jopplin Missouri....I have no idea really. The other line is just as long.

There is a large 5 stamped on the waist below the horn and below that,on the foot is a serial number of sorts of 121323

Have always wondered why the manufacturer does such a poor job of stamping the anvil in terms of the name brand.

I can take a picture of it, that isn't a problem. It is a London style anvil of 110 lbs and clearly has a high carbon steel plate on the top. It rings quite loudly and the hammer return (bounce) is awsome.

The owner is asking 300.00 Looks like is has some use, but is not damaged.

Postman said in his book that Hay Budden anvils have a number stamped on the waist under the horn. He goes on the say that HB was the only anvil maker that did that. They made anvils for lots of different companies, I have 2 that they made for others.

HB was the ONLY anvil maker to stamp the waist under the horn? Doesn't that sound a little odd?? No way I'd believe that with all the anvils made over the years by "nobody knows how many manufacturers" out there. Did they have the rights to stamping anvils on the waist under the horn..............? That is funny.

Anyway,,,,,,, that is the anvil I've found. I counted all the letters and they match up. I can only see the tops of the letters between BLACK JACK and USA. I guss they didn't want to take time to stamp is properly. If I don't stamp an item
properly, I wouldn't want to sell it to the public, but perhaps I'm too particular in my work?

I visited the local anvil dealer and he gave me the low-down on anvil styles. He did mention the old anvils are better than the new ones. (Ok then.) I'll take his word for it. I guess an iron anvil (with the hard top) is somehow better than a solid steel anvil for some reason.

Thanks for the info on the Black Jack!

in anvils in america pg. 289 keen cutter and blackjack where made for the simmons hardware company of St. Louis Missouri, s/n around 48023 (ca. 1900) s/n 210796 (ca. 1914). Mr Postman has seen, dated and cataloged more anvils than anyone i know of in the U.S. i believe him if he states to his knowlage that hay-budden was the only U.S. anvil company to stamp under the horn usually above the tong hole, then it is more than likely true. although he does say he has only scratched the surface of anvils in america.

but don't you think out of 30 plus years of researching anvils that he might have a pretty good clue. why not also bring up the fact that he states to his knowledge hay-budden is the only anvil maker to rim the bottom of the base for more stability. as for the stamping after years of hard work do the deer motors you like still have all the paint on them? how about the doge trucks you think they last in gtreat shape after hard use and still have all the id marks on them, give the man some respect he has put in the time!

maybe hay-budden was the only anvil maker smart enough to put a mark in a spot that does not get hard use as an id for quality for all the anvils they made so whether you are using a hay-budden or an omaha or a black jack, or a us or a american an acme or a john henry or any of the other 300000 anvils that hay-budden made you know you have a mighty fine anvil that will stand the test of time whether the trade mark stamped in the side does or not.

on a side note how can you take the work of your "local anvil delear" who is he getting his info from how many books has he written on the subject of anvils and anvil making, so you believe him that older anvils are better than new anvils; have you asked some of the anvil makers today like say Nimba, Emmerson, Cliff Carroll, TFS, JHM, NC, Ridgid-Peddinghaus, Delta ( just to name some off the top of my head) if they think older is better than new? the only thing i think your local dealer was doing was his job of selling old anvils.

bottom line give postman some respect he has put in his time and is humble enough to state that to my knowledge this is what i have uncovered about anvils in america matto

Don't understand what you mean there as I didn't believe him,,,,, that old anvils are better, but I have read that in blacksmithing books, so maybe it is true. I would think modern methods combined with cast steel would be better, but perhaps not. Froged anvils are supposed to be better in some way from what I read, but I'd rather have new myself as they are not damaged.

However the lousy job of stamping is just that.I simply cannot belive only the bottom portion of the words BLACK JACK and SOLID WROUGHT and WARANTEED has worn away in use. That don't make sense. It was made/stamped that way. Something John Deere would never do, I'm sure. LOL

i am with you on having new, then you can dress the anvil how you want it not work around everything you don't want. but it is kind a fun working with a 100 to 150 year old anvil. you would think that with all the new technology that a new anvil would be far superior to the old anvils. there are a lot of great anvils on the market now. it would be nice to know who the next hay-budden , trenton or peter right will be. i guess time will tell

I have. My great grandaddys BLACK JACK. Anvil.
It was made and sold thru keen kutter.
Hay Budden made these anvils for them To market thru their catalogs. That's probably why the lettering is not so prevailate. They left It up To whoever To label them.
There are some catalogs online That show the prices of the anvils under the keen kutter brand name. But its a old anvil. And below the black Jack USA stamp. Mine says. Solid wrought iron
But its a Good anvil. No doubt. But mine has been in the family over a 100 Years. So its a working heirloom to me.

If anyone ask what kind You have. And you want to simplify it for them. Just say it's a HB and be done with it.
That's if you care about that type stuff. Some have anvil envy and drop names of What They have. You got a fine anvil. Enjoy it