I Forge Iron

First solid fuel forge

quint

Picked this guy up today. Looks like a homemade forge. Didnt get any good pictures of it but the center has a riser in it that has a bunch of holes drilled in it. The blocks are in there just because it had a big vise sitting on it.

The blower works but needs some help, not sure even what type it is, has a odd shaped valve assembly type thing, guess thats to control the air flow. I am not really sure as never had one of these creatures before.

post-26117-0-71801400-1345515374_thumb.j

post-26117-0-36025100-1345515382_thumb.j

post-26117-0-58599900-1345515391_thumb.j

The tuyere in the middle picture is one designed for use with a bellows and probably does not go with the other two pictures. It has an ash dump and a clinker breaker but no valve for air control on it---save that the clinker breaker may control the distribution of air but not the amount...

Were you referring to other valving not shown in the pictures?

OK that makes sense Thomas. I really dont know squat about the coal forges. Now I remember the guy saying that he had a hand crank setup at one point maybe on a different forge.

The homemade forge in the pic I think was used with the blower but cant be totally sure but it looks like it. When I picked this stuff up it was all pretty much in a pile except for the forge which was being used as a stand for the vise I got.

The other two pictures may go together---the electric blower and the forge. Does the forge have a tuyere already in place?

If you need to add air control, a sliding cover on the intake is often better than one on the output. Looks like a large blower too so you may need an air diverter rather than a "valve"

Well, that forge looks like it's never been used. At least, it's never been seriously used.

The holes in the grate look way to small, and the whole thing stands too high unless you're going to build up the bottom with bricks and such. And there's no ash dump on the bottom. What's the diameter on that piping?

Not a bad piece of work, though, as it won't take much to get her running good. The body and legs appear in good shape and are sized decently.