I Forge Iron

Yeah, we're a ways apart Francis but not the farthest. No snow on the ground right here but I can see it on the mountains, no problem and not the really high ones, we've been having a cooler than normal summer. A 70 degree day has been a rarity this summer. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

I like the riveted arms and legs! Easier for a beginner, both the attach to the body and form the claws on the ends of a longer bar.

Any tips for getting the horns so long? I've been trying to make decent dragon heads for years now, and the horns always mess me up, ending up short and stubby so that my dragons look more like dogs.

I've tried flat chisels and curved chisels but I never have enough "horn" to be able to draw out or even manage to hit the little ear like stubs with a hammer.

Thanks

post-182-0-42643500-1344972282_thumb.jpg

Michael nothing wrong with your style dragon. over the years I have used 2 methods the first was to double up the bar and weld it to it self but hot cut about 1" first the cut section will give you enough material to work with. This method I punched a hole and inserted a piece of 3/8" round stock and welded to the hole. it was different from what I usually do it worked out. I will do it again. I liked what the punching did to the face (eyes) hope this helps.

Any tips for getting the horns so long? I've been trying to make decent dragon heads for years now, and the horns always mess me up, ending up short and stubby so that my dragons look more like dogs.

I've tried flat chisels and curved chisels but I never have enough "horn" to be able to draw out or even manage to hit the little ear like stubs with a hammer.

Thanks

A sharp thin chisel made of something like H13 would help. It will tolerate the heat and still hold an edge. Also, start farther back on the neck than the expected length of the horn, because as you shear it away it is compacted.