I Forge Iron

need help with post drill

ok i have a champion post drill and im trying to take it apart to sand blast it i got the crank arm and gear off but i cant get the fly wheel of is this a cap (#2)?i took the set screw off the fly wheel and soaked it in pb blaster wont buge.also i cant get the top gear to lower the drill off (#3) if anyone has pics on how to take it a part it would be verry helpful. im stuck and dont know what to do.

post-14388-0-46136900-1344406777_thumb.j

looks to me like you are missing the 'feed arm'. the feed arm rides on a cam on the main shaft on one end and reaches up to the 'feed wheel' you have labeled #3.

there is a pretty good study of post drills here.... http://www.beautifuliron.com/thepost.htm

btw I wouldn't sand blast your drill. just a good brushing with a hand held wire brush and a light coat of oil will preserve the natural finish.

jmo

ya i know im missing the feed arm im doing to make it. theres only i bradded pin that i can see. bob s i was going to keep the orignal patina but theres so much crud and gunk on it so i desided to do a full restore and paint it to match my champion blower. thanks for the help