I Forge Iron

Arching/Re-arching Anvil

I've never heard of such an anvil... till now. You can cold arc leaf spring material up to 1/2" thick and as tight as 16" diameter on a standard anvil though. The usual technique is to hammer on the inside of the arc with a rounding hammer over the hardy hole at evenly spaced intervals until the desired curve is achieved. Hammering over the step area will also work... a bit faster but not quite as controlled. I would guess that most commercial shops would form springs in some sort of press rather than on an anvil... the shops that won't sell you one might not know what you are talking about!

Most spring shops I ever had any dealing with rolled the metal through a three-wheel device that was powered. As one wheel closed into the specified position the new radius was formed. Variable radius were formed by computer controlling the third wheel roller. Sometime you see people bending tubing the same way but with specific dies to elimate tubing collapse.

With all my googlefu I was only able to find reference to one anvil made for arching auto springs.(and that was by a bunch of machinists....)

fisherexpo01.jpg

This picture from the 1876 Centennial Expo has a 450# Fisher with what looks like dovetails cut into it. What is that Fisher made for? Is there even such a thing as a re-arching anvil?

What are you wanting to do with it? Is is something that an old wagon tyre roller might work on or is it something a bulldozer press would be better for. If you give us an idea of intended use we might make better suggestions on what to use and how to find/make it.