I Forge Iron

transporting oxygen and acetylene tanks cross country

danarenor

Hi- I work as a jeweler, and have one small oxygen tank (about 14"high/ 17"diameter) and one small acetylene tank (20" high/ 20" diameter). I currently live in New Mexico, and will be moving to Wisconsin in about a month- I will be driving cross country w/a small car and a 10' U-haul box-truck. I am wondering if it is safe to travel with these 2 tanks secured in an upright position, in the back of the U-haul truck? My questions/concerns are:
1. Is it safe to transport them this way- could it be too hot in the U-haul for them?
2. Should they both be emptied of gas before being transported?
3. Is thare anything else I ought to know about how to safely transport these tanks?
Thanks for reading this, and for any help you can offer me!

I assume that the tanks you have ( B or smaller) you purchased so don't worry about other companies filling or exchanging them. Just keep the acetylene tank upright, valves closed, caps on if you have them and take to the road. You don't need any placards unless you want to drawer attention to your trip. Just do it and play dumb if a situation arises. This is one of those situations where less is better. Have a safe trip.

If you have the option, go ahead and empty them out just for safety. A leaking acetylene tank can cause explosions, oxygen a flash fire. These tanks have safetys that can release the pressure if over heated from being in an enclosed box. I'm not saying this will happen, the odds are next to none. Things happen though. A tire fire out in the middle of nowhere + full tanks aren't a good combonation. FYI, I'm in the welding supply buisness and safety is a huge concern. The small tanks are always customer owned and most companies just swap them out for convenience as few fill oxygen on site and none will fill the acetylene.
Recently a person purchased a small acetylene and transported it in his Toyota suv, he left it overnight not aware it was leaking. The next day he got in the suv and smelt the acetylene so he went to let the back windows down. You couldn't tell what kind of vehicle it was, somehow the man survives minus his eardrums. The explosion was violent enough to deploy the airbag. Just thought I'd share that.

i seem to remember someone telling me a risk with acet is knocking the cylinder hard enough to loose/break the lining, which protects the gas from coming into contact with the metal wall of the cylinder. it is i seem to remember bad explosive news if it does - so take care the cylinder cannot rock and roll about, knocking on stuff.

I have had my "B" tank in the exchange system for nearly 50 years now and it was and is a good deal. My only complaint is that some of the dealers are not good about making sure that the valves on the tanks are in good condition and they leak around the stem, so if you are transporting the tank with gas in it just make sure it is not leaking by doing a bubble test on the thing. If I was transporting it I would do it empty. It just isn't worth the price of a tank of gas to worry about the damage that could happen from an explosion from leaking acetylene is it? Always error on the side of safety.

I assume that the tanks you have ( B or smaller) you purchased so don't worry about other companies filling or exchanging them. Just keep the acetylene tank upright, valves closed, caps on if you have them and take to the road. You don't need any placards unless you want to drawer attention to your trip. Just do it and play dumb if a situation arises. This is one of those situations where less is better. Have a safe trip.

IF?? If you don't have caps, GET THEM! If a tank falls with a cap, you just say, "Oh shoot!" If a tank falls over without a cap and the valve hits something, a full oxygen tank can become a land toredo and break through cinder block walls. Thats if it doesn't hit you or an innocent bystander first. The acteylene doesn't have as much pressure. It just can result in a firey explosion. This all just happens on a bad day, however. How is you day going? :unsure:

http://www.grainger....in_dim_search=1
Lockable is expensive

http://www.safetyemp...etail.htm?07202
no idea who these guys are but $20 sounds good.

My google search was
gas cylinder valve caps
under shopping.

If a pair of caps sets you back $40 that would be cheap insurance, especially since you then keep the caps for all times you are transporting your tanks. I would talk to the place that services your tanks, or your local welding equipment supplier. It sounds like you are moving common small purchased tanks like in the kits sold at many big box stores.

Phil

Better search under shopping
welding cylinder caps
Phil

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/weldingdepot/scan/fi=products/st=db/sp=results/co=1/sf=category/se=Cutting%20Accessories/op=eq/nu=0/bs=1/ml=25/tf=description/to=x/se=1/sf=inactive/op=ne/sf=tax_category/se=1/op=eq/va=banner_text=/va=banner_image=.html?id=JfXUjUoa
I have ordered from these people with a good quick transaction
Phil Edited by Phil Krankowski