I Forge Iron

Leg Vise Info

AJAX

post-23181-0-08021200-1343323984_thumb.jpost-23181-0-19949100-1343324467_thumb.jpost-23181-0-39855000-1343324717_thumb.j

I was working for someone, we pulled this out of the garage and he didn't want it so he gave it to me for free. i was wondering if you guys knew anything about it as far as value and condition. this leg vise says "Indian Chief" on it, and we think it was made in the 1930's or something. regardless, i'll probably use it when i get some time to build my forge. it does have a bit of rust on it, but i think some steel wool could take care of that. anyways thanks,

*i wouldn't open the pictures, there too dang big for some reason

"Indian Chief" was a trademark of the Columbus Forge and Iron Company, Columbus, Ohio. They also made Columbian vises which are like the Indian Chief in appearance. Yours probably dates from the early 1900's and it's worth $1.00 per pound + or - depending where you are located. It has a problem, the little coil spring. The original leaf spring is missing, but could be quickly forged by a smith.

Vises also have a bonus for the width of the jaw a 6" vise often going for several times that of the common 4" jaw ones. You didn't list the width. (Think of it as being the difference between a vehicle with a 4 cylinder engine and a 6 or even 8 cylinder engine.)

They also are quite dependent on in what condition the screw and screwbox is. You didn't show or mention that. (think of it as being like the engine of a car---if it's a blown engine the value of a car plummets)

For me in my location: if the screw is badly worn it's worth about $20 to $30 for a 4" vise
if the screw is in good shape it's worth $50 to $100. for a 4" vise

If it's an 8" vise with mint screw it's worth over $500 ("We've got a 66 mustang with a police interceptor engine with 5000 original miles...)

The "screws" did you mean the "screw"? Only one that really counts is the one that closes the jaws, the pivot bolt is easily changed out at any decent hardware store. The screw/screwbox is a rare item and retrofitting one is usually more trouble than just buying another vise in better shape!

The screw should have a nice Sq thread. Rounding is sign of wear and it it's worn down to a sharp point thread like a typical bolt has then it's headed toward the scrap heap!.

Usually if the screw is worn the screwbox is worn, screwboxes can also have damaged threads inside or the box can have cracks form over stressing.