I Forge Iron

Anyone need a brake drum for a forge

The small 4 bolt rotors make a great base for stock stands. Light enough to pick up one handed.

I notice a few tapered large drums ( like from a duece and a half or the like). Those make good cones to true larger rings. You also have access to 4,5,6 and more hole hubs. This works well for geometry layouts in making stand tooling for weld up or for arms on a piece that has multi pieces. Yes scrapyards make you sad to see stuff headed out (like the lathe).

There's a number of potential post anvils as well. Some sort of grate sticking out of the ground in front of the heap that might adapted into a poor man's acorn table type thing, or a small welding table with a bit if sheet metal (the grate for mass, the sheet for a solid surface). Man, there's one or 2 decent scrapyards around here, but nothing like that!!

A good scrap yard is a joy to a smith!

You're right about the free weights, out here they just toss them on the pile as they stopped sorting cast iron from steel as it all goes to china for 1 price according to the scrapyard boss. I used to be able to buy CI cheaper but now have to pay the same rate as the rest of the stuff.