I Forge Iron

Use a (blacksmith) propane forge for Aluminum casting?

Hey all. Not sure if this IS possible, but I don't see why not. I want to get into doing a bit of aluminum casting, but not enough to make the investment into making a full foundry. My question is... can I use my propane forge that I use for blacksmithing for a foundry as well? Its two old propane cylinders spliced together, and lined with a thermal fabric and itc-100. I do realise that I would need to place the cylinder on its side and fashion a cover/stand for the end, I just don't want to damage my linings trying this out. Has anyone tried this? Thanks in advance gents!

Al is molten at 1260 depending on alloy
I have melted aluminum in a home made steel crucible made out of pipe with a bottom electric welded on.
I watched an old Williamsburg film where they melted brass in an iron pot on the coal forge and brass has a higher temp than alum.

Yes, but...

Most gas forges are designed for long skinny things, and crucibles tend to be squat, tallish and round. Geometry mismatch means you are limited on the size of your crucible, and may need to work out handling methods that are safe for accessing your forge. Your melt volume will be small, and cleaning dross, stirring, and fluxing may be difficult.

Aluminum can be melt in a steel/iron crucible with reasonable safety.

Copper bearing alloys you never should use a steel crucible because the iron will dissolve into the copper readily and you will have a hole in your pot. (I learned this through experience, and was very lucky, I confirmed it through reading)

Remember to preheat everything. A drop of water is an explosion when you are dealing with molten metals, even low temperature stuff like lead can explode because of water.

Phil

I made a reproduction part in AL using my propane forge. Mine is a 12" pipe about 18" long on its side (Larry Zoeller design) For a cruciable I used a 2"x4" sq tube 5" long with a bottom welded in, l used a 1/2" rod about 40" long welded on the side. Pay attention to the previous warnings about water or moisture. I had a green rammed sand mold (baked). Melted Al rivets in it, skimmed off the dross with my borax spoon.Poured with a Carrhart coat, welder gloves and a face shield and probably should have done more. Read lots, find someone who has done it before, look at some You Tube videos, be safe. It only takes one mistake.

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys! A friend of mine in my city has also given me similar warnings and advice. I think that I am going to just bite the bullet and build an actual aluminum foundry with his help. Sounds like you can make one for fairly cheap. I do need to do a lot more researching on this matter though, and buy some safer gear to do it with. Thanks again, I will keep you posted!