I Forge Iron

Doall continuous file saw

Just got this saw-like the filing speeds. Great for doing contours-hence the contour saw on the machine, I guess. 300 bucks-love the machine. I have an Oliver die file, but I used the filing saw to rough the blanks right to the line then used the Oliver to clean up. The Handles are for the Adnet table reproduction I am doing.

post-1460-0-05227800-1341330485_thumb.jp

post-1460-0-72624000-1341330516_thumb.jp

post-1460-0-62654900-1341330524_thumb.jp

post-1460-0-97311800-1341330654_thumb.jp

post-1460-0-08877100-1341330676_thumb.jp

I was just using a blade that came with it-looks like 14 tpi. I know there is special blades, but I did well with the reg blade. Looks just like a regular bandsaw blade/guide area. The main thing is it's slow 75-100 fpm. You could do the same thing with a regular bandsaw- just put a VFD on it and run it slow for the filing type stuff. It saved me a ton of time by "filing" away from where the cut was to the scribed line. Like I said I have an Oliver die file, bit it takes time. The picture shown is BEFORE I used the die filer on it.

A few years ago I converted a wood cutting vertical band saw to VFD powered 3 phase motor. I use it for rough shaping with closely spaced cuts down to the pattern line from the side then knock the remaining nib off gentle side pressure. Then clean the cut up with hand file. it is surprising how close you can get using that technique. Actually I have a second older geared vertical band saw for which I plan to buy narrow pattern makers blades. So I will soon be running two widths of blades on separate machines. I have high hopes for this combination. Both saws are good old american iron .

I have never seen that particular saw before. But it looks like a killer deal that you got.

• 2 weeks later...