I Forge Iron

Practicing on Mild steel

Sakadt

I've read on here and in a few different books it is a good idea to practice on mild steel or scrap steel to get some practice in on basic shapes and rough grind, which I have been doing. But outside of that, is it really necessary to heat treat and temper it? I have no problem doing it but because you can only make mild steel so hard and the carbon within the steel is different than say that of 10xx series steel or a steel that you would use to make a finer blade, is it worthwhile?

I know that the question "When am I ready to move on to a higher quality steel?" is a loaded one and I am not asking that, just more or less curious if there is any other good I can get out of practicing with lower grade steels, as far as blade making is concerned.

Thanks

Sakadt

This is a matter of opinion.

Assuming you already have basic smithing skills and knowing that higher carbons steels are available pretty much free I hold that it's better to practice on what you will be using as you learn the habits of working *it* and not the habits of working mild. I've seen a lot of blades ruined because the smith tried to work the high carbon steel like it was mild steel.

And this is how I've taught it for over 30 years now.

Now if you don't have the basics down; well perhaps you should do your remedial work before taking the advanced class.

And 10xx could be everything from mild steel to quite high carbon steel with 30 points being the cut off between mild and medium carbon steels. 30 -60 points for medium carbon steel and 60+ points for high carbon steel---though you do top out and turn the material into cast iron around 2%

Thomas, thanks for your reply, that makes alot of sense to work and practice on what you will be using verse something that handles differently under the hammer. No when you say free, where are you getting it lol. Because I can find cheap but not free.

No when you say free, where are you getting it lol. Because I can find cheap but not free.

That comes with practice too!

I'd like to add one more thing about practice. As long as you are learning how a material works, you can never have to much practice. I would say go ahead and draw the temper. I'm not a bladesmith but I can't see a reason why it is not a good idea to understand how heat treatment of mild steel won't help you understand heat treatment in higher carbon and more costly alloys. I'm not talking end result so much as the observations made during the process. Whenever I make something out of precious materials I do lots of tests and sometime make a "mistake" piece so I do all the learning and setups on a sacrificial piece to insure I get the high value one done right.

See if you can't find some old leaf springs.....these are usually made from 5160. Or even forge out some old files...usually 1084. This is how I started and learned the hard way....I didn't know about IFI....Bang out a blade.....try normalizing....annealing and hardening and tempering. If you get these techniques down and in the proper order you will make good blades...they may not be pretty blades but they will be good blades. Learn on the scraps.....5160 makes a very tough blade.....1084 as well. These steels are both fairly easy to heat treat. Then once you have proven your HT then move on to buying some steel.....Once you perfect the dumpster dive you may not need to buy steel ever again. Cheers and have fun.
Steve Sells has an awesome post on heat treating and why!

Never had any problems picking up free auto coil springs from a local repair shop---except that they generally want to give me more than I want to take!

Take a nice sized coil spring and cut it on opposing sides to make a dozen ( pieces. Now it's easier to straighten and you can do a lot of practice on forging with all of it being the same alloy and then you can also practice the heat treat finding out what works best for that alloy by testing to destruction---and still have a couple of pieces left for "good blades" when you get done.

I also get given steel at the trash transfer station when I take the household trash there once a week---the joys of rural life. I get it *cheap* at the scrap yard next door and have been picking up some old (100+ years) mining steel that's high carbon for about 10 cents per blade made...