I Forge Iron

NOT TOO LATE..seems you are right on time. Put legs on it and enjoy.

The great thing about a striking anvil is you can really whale away at it or the piece of steel aimed at and not destroy a valuable tool. In the end you pull out the grinder and remove whatever evidence you want to.

ENJOY

Carry on

• 5 weeks later...

really, the best surface for a striking anvil - is the one you posted the photo of... this is brian's striking anvil.. and this one is about 13 by 3 by 5 inches. The hardy hole is one inch square. an the pritchell hole is half inch round. as far as the distance from edge of anvil to pritchell and pritchell to hardy hole... That should not matter so long it is in a place where you will still have working surface... eg, dont have them so far in that you have a hugely reduced 'plain' working area. On that anvil... the pritchell is roughly an inch ( + ) in.... and about an inch and a half or so from the edge of the hardy hole.... the distance from the hardy hole does not make a difference, really.... the placement of the pritchell hole here, is because here brian was able to have the hole go clear through to the other side without being in the way of the legs.
If you build a striking anvil... be sure to have the legs NO MORE THAN 8° OF VERTICAL... other wise the legs WILL break off.... even at 10° or 15° ....you want as much vertical backing as you can... this should be anchored to the ground.. so stability should most definitely NOT be an issue :)
Hope that helped.

alec

Well I finally drifted my round hole square. About a week before brian started this post I gave him a call and he gave me a few pointers on the drift geometry. Well I finally got to it this am. After bein aprehensive I decided I had nothing to lose. So the anvil is 2"x6"x12" I drilled a 3/4" hole an drifted it with 1" mild steel drift. It took me three heats because it was not hot enough on the first try and the second was not hot enough either the third heat I finally figured out that if I piled the fire over the the piece it would get past orange and get to yellow. (Stupid rookie)this time the drift went through like butter. I still have to weld it to the stand. I also made a brazeal style hotcut it came out ok fo a first try the blade is not parallel to the edges of the hardie shaft but it seems to bee a little benificial while standing in front of the anvil.here are some pics and any comments will be appreciated good or bad.
Thanks Eric

post-23601-0-93172900-1348341681_thumb.j

post-23601-0-24796400-1348341771_thumb.j

post-23601-0-74343500-1348341878_thumb.j

post-23601-0-78067500-1348341955_thumb.j