I Forge Iron

Little Vulcan

that is way cool ! ill buy it and pay shipping ! lol, or trade ya a vice !

Thanks but like I said it's going in my service truck....Now if I could figure out a good way to mount a post vise to my service truck and have it be functional I'd be set.......LOL

if you have a removable tow hitch on your truck you can use that as a spot to mount the a vice nice and solid and quick to remove

I've got a cast iron vice that mounts in a receiver similar to a hitch mounted in the bed. The tow hitch is so low it makes it awkward to use. I'll build a mount for the anvil to go in the same location so I can swap them out.

Now a post vise on the service truck is a whole nuther animal. First the cast iron vice works fine I just like a post Vise. Second if the vise had a leg it'd have to be adjustable because the terrain I work at is ever changing. Which would either make it a serious pain to set up but sturdy or it would be a bit flimsy and add little support.

sorry not the best drawer but this was more what i meant with a mounting bracket from the tow hitch
you could make it fixed or have it sleeved so that it could slide up and down to always be seated on the ground
if you wanted to get fancy you could make it so that you could lock it in place at a set height

post-22808-0-23441300-1340115703_thumb.j

I like it. I hadn't thought of mounting it that way. It looks like it would work well. Probably just use some bolts with wingnuts to lock it once it's adjusted. Thanks Red.

Guess it's time to find another Post vise, and this time the company can pay for it cause it's going on the truck.

Last December, Jake P. and I made a small 2 lb axe on an anvil that size. It was a 25 lb anvil and had a very similar shape to yours. We split the eye, drifted it laid open the bit, insert the spring steel bit, made the weld and refined it. Would have it been easier on a larger anvil? Undoubtedly. But we did it and it worked. You can do alot with alittle. You don't need a 250 lb anvil to get work done. But it is nice to have. Remember the vikings used stone as anvils for a very long time.

I have a 25# roman/medieval/renaissance/early modern anvil that I forge on using quite heavy hammers. As a simple cube with a pointed stake on the bottom of it it's hard to break off a piece.

On the other hand I have a Vulcan where a student broke off the horn riveting on it. Luckily not one of my students!

Light duty is fine for them---usually. Watch out for students with big hammers though!