I Forge Iron

July 7 & 8 Forge in at Westpoint

Hi to all interested,

Westpoint Forge is hosting a forge in weekend on the 7th and 8th July,

Usual bring and buy, demonstrations and general "bring a problem and see if we can solve it" sessions

If there is anything anyone wants specifically to do, know or have demonstrated, let me know and I will see if we can arrange it.

If you are coming along, please indicate so we can sort the catering.

Hrrmmmmm. I'm back from America on the 1st, and am supposed to be going to watch my cousin boxing in Clevedon on the 7th.
Tempted to come along, even if it is to watch people and maybe make a few bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday depends on the weather as I have a weekly market stall, if it's raining then it's likely I'll turn up, but I'm afraid I can't be more definite than that, at the moment the forecast does not look good though! I am currently engaged in family 'negotiations' with regards to Sunday... could go either way at this point, and depends whether I make it on the Saturday. I am hoping I will be there for at least one day!!

Thanks Dave, see you then, things are going swimmingly at the moment, no problems on site, just surrounding it, Ottery in particular, but shouldn't bother you, Three managed to get there today, one from Sussex, but although raining he travelled down Friday so missed most of the flooding, just seemed to be driving down rivers, Bit of a novelty, White water rafting in a white van to a forge in...Cool

john, really sorry hate to keep saying no, i am moving workshops next week, HAVE to achieve it before school breaks up..... it is not through lack of interest -= hope it goes well.. hope you are well too.. :)

thanks john, i want to get it all straight before it all grinds to a halt for summer holidays. the new place is bigger lighter dryer more lockable and harder for people to come and waffle me at my fire!! cant wait really... so this is the whole house move then john? good luck yourself, guess youve shifted lots of your tools up to westpoint now then? how did the forge in go?did you get many in the end? have i imagined it , or am i still in credit with you ? ;) many apologies if i have this wrong, i will take your word for it either way :)

Hi Beth,
Yes whole move, no workshop, all workshop went to auctionand steel stock to scrap with a few exceptions until we get settled, have to get rid of camper van now, (nowhere to keep it, or the trailer, sooner get rid of the car )

Forge in went great for me, Rob and Dave today, made a couple of different size Acorn spring tools for Rob, (Key rings) went through making the oak leaf also, played on the Blacker, had a nice lunch on the patio, watching the Buzzard playing with the Rooks (natures cabaret), and Dave went through modifying a wood turners tool for making bowls etc.

Got rid of some of my odd tools left over, mainly stakes, sparkmesh for fireguards, discs, and weird steel.

Saturday went through making the bulldog head hook, and used this method to make a pigs head, played about making a horses head and firewelding

Don't think you are in credit, but not sure, and paperwork is stashed all over at the moment. Ain't Chaos great.! The Pikey life beckons !!!

Weird Steel, even got Mr Budd confused, but looks good for making repoussee/chasing tools

Van is a 1978 Bedford CF 5 berth, should be 6 but bunk/stretcher bars are missing, fibreglass wings and bonnet, new shower trauy fitted and never been used since fitting, I took it in for an MOT and the garage managed to put a tear along one side of it, so I stripped off the bottom panels all round, replaced any suspect timbers, and reclad with 2mm Aluminium chequer plate, Very seldom use it now and it is on SORN, so have to get the MOT sorted before selling, insurance is £98.00 (about) fully comp. and it is insured at the moment,

post-816-0-85335300-1341781525_thumb.jpg

Photo at the last Royal Show at Stoneleigh.

post-816-0-52858000-1341781543_thumb.jpg post-816-0-89862200-1341781559_thumb.jpg

Buyer may need sunglasses, upholstered in deck chair colours

post-816-0-53852000-1341782252_thumb.jpg

Its a more smiles to the miles kind of vehicle.

Hi Beth, here are few pics of the inside, bit of a tip because I've just been using it to store stuff, the double bed was left made up to stop upholstery being bleached by sun (not much danger of that at the moment)
Loads of high level cupboards not shown, new shower tray still has plastic cover on

These are quite old pics but layout is still same, the dark blue covers have been replaced with the blue and white striped ones.

post-816-0-27554200-1341871884_thumb.jpg post-816-0-98172500-1341871921_thumb.jpg post-816-0-54597900-1341871955_thumb.jpg post-816-0-36744000-1341872188_thumb.jpg post-816-0-98539800-1341872220_thumb.jpg post-816-0-79315000-1341872461_thumb.jpg post-816-0-91957000-1341872619_thumb.jpg

Have also got pics of the installation and replacement structure when I re clad it with the chequerplate after this scratch.post-816-0-76503900-1341872712_thumb.jpg

Then it joined its buddies at the 40 years of the Bedford gathering at Malvern 2009,

post-816-0-28528200-1341873370_thumb.jpg

Been on a Sorn for the last couple of years.

thanks for the photos john it looks great - i was going to get into a conversation about that camper with you as i have had my big bedford listed on ebay... it has not sold :) so i better not even have that conversation till it goes. we never know wether to keep it and make do or down size... you know how these dilemmas are..

Hi Beth, no problems, its going into the bedford doctors tomorrow to have an oil change, replace cambelt and sort carb out (or fit a proper one, one fitted at moment is a Land Rover one) and a new crankshaft oil seal fitted as it has been stood for a bit now and leaks there a bit, also MOT and any welding needed, (shouldn't be any but you never know it is 34 years old)

Want it in tickety boo condition so I can hopefully catch a couple of shows before I sell it,

We move on Monday, and no room to park it where we are going (no room for much at all really, hence the wanderlust and open road tempting me)

Shall miss it but its got to go.